4. Earning Your Stripes

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking, you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child

Latalia's Point of View: 

"Now that is a great execution of the smoked salmon potato chip canapes. How did you do so many without breaking the chip but still have a thinly sliced homemade chip?" He asked me as I was helping with prep for the restaurant. It's been a few days, and although I proved to him, I am a quick study. He only lets me do the appetizers and desserts by myself. 

"Freeze the tray they lay on; the cold barrier keeps it intact as if I have frozen them but without that weird texture feel." I say finishing the last row of canapes. This menu was a surf and turf kind of spread with the smoked salmon meeting the lean and meaty Lamb shanks. For dessert, he had us prepared several Atlantic Beach Pies, which is a fancier key lime pie. 

"Interesting, okay. Well, we are coming up on Saturday to plan our menu for next week. Now you see how I prepare my menus. we can try to brainstorm ideas and curate a new menu. I hope you are ready to discuss what our new menu theme should be. What sets us apart from other restaurants is the fact we have a rotating menu every week and only for special clientele do we even have repeat items." He says as he tries the extra chip, I made knowing he would want a taste. 

"Okay, I have a few ideas. What time and where do we meet on Saturday?" I asked him as I smiled at my hard work. 

"Well, I have to go to my daughter's recital at 11 a.m. so after that will be fine, she asked me if you wanted to come by the way." He says, and I think about it. 

"Of course, Chef. I'd love to come to your daughter's recital. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity to support her. Let's plan to meet up after the recital then. I'm looking forward to it, she is a sweet kid." I say as I start cleaning up the prep station. He smiles I am guessing in thought about his daughter.

As I continue tidying up the prep station, I glance over at Michael with a warm smile. "Do you think she'll be performing anything special? It must be such a proud moment for you as a parent." I ask him. 

Michael nods, a hint of pride evident in his expression. "She's been practicing her dance routine for weeks now. I'm sure she'll do great, and she will want to show it off for days to come. I am proud of her and her growth in everything she does." he replies, his voice tinged with excitement. 

"And thank you for agreeing to come. It would mean a lot to her." He adds. 

"You're welcome, Chef. I'm genuinely looking forward to it," I respond, a soft smile playing on my lips. 

"It's important to show support especially during such memorable moments. Please let her know I'm excited to see her perform." I could see he still hasn't warm up to me that much. I guess he is still dealing with the fact that he has to share the restaurant with me. 

I knew that attending his daughter's recital was the right thing to do. It was a small gesture, but one that I hope would strengthen our bond as colleagues and friends outside of the restaurant walls. And for Michael, knowing that his team had his back both in and out of the kitchen would make all the difference in the world. I hope this gesture will show him that I am only trying to help us become good friends and be supportive of the success of the restaurant. 

"Okay so let's get down to business, tonight's service needs to be flawless," Michael declared, his tone firm and unwavering. 

"The Nepalese dignitary's visit is crucial for our reputation amongst other nations during this UN summit, and we cannot afford any mistakes." He reaffirms as I knew this important client seem to have him a bit on edge.