5. Blossoming Friends

"Cooking is all about people. Food is maybe the only universal thing that really has the power to bring everyone together. No matter what culture, everywhere around the world, people get together to eat." - Guy Fieri

Michael's Point of View: 

As I settled into my seat in the crowded auditorium, my thoughts drifted back to the unexpected encounter with Latalia the night before. I watched with a mixture of pride and anticipation as the stage lights dimmed, signaling the start of my daughter's dance recital.

Despite the excitement of the moment, my mind kept returning to the conversation I'd shared with Latalia on our walk to her building. Her genuine concern and willingness to offer support had touched me in a way I hadn't expected.

As the music swelled and the dancers took the stage, I found myself stealing glances at Latalia seated nearby. I couldn't shake the feeling of gratitude for her kindness and the newfound sense of connection that seemed to have blossomed between us.

As the recital progressed, my heart swelled with pride as my daughter took the stage, her movements graceful and confident. But amidst the applause and admiration, my thoughts kept drifting back to Latalia, wondering what the future might hold for our burgeoning friendship.

As the final curtain fell and the audience erupted into applause, I couldn't help but feel a sense of optimism stirring within myself. Perhaps, I thought, the unexpected bond I shared with Latalia could be the beginning of something truly special. Or maybe because I have been so lonely it's nice to have a new kind face in the mist.

As we exit the venue, I spot my daughter Paris waiting for us, her face radiant with excitement from her successful performance. I can't help but smile at the sight of her, feeling a swell of pride in my heart.

"Hey, sweetheart, you were amazing up there!" I exclaim, wrapping Paris in a warm hug.

Paris beams up at me, her eyes sparkling with happiness. "Thanks, Daddy! I'm so glad you got to see the whole routine together."

Latalia steps forward, holding out a delicate pink rose towards Paris. "You were exceptional Paris, and this is for you. You were absolutely stunning on stage."

Paris's face lights up with delight as she accepts the flower. "Thank you, Latalia! It's beautiful and you remember these are my favorites."

I watch the interaction between my daughter and Latalia with a sense of gratitude, grateful for the bond they share. Paris could use more female role models in her life besides CiCi. 

"So, Paris, what do you say we go out to eat to celebrate your fantastic performance?" I asked her to see where she would like to go and have lunch.

Paris's eyes widen with excitement. "Yes, please! Can we go to that Italian restaurant we like?"

I chuckle, ruffling her hair affectionately. "Of course, sweetheart. Lead the way."

As we walk together towards the restaurant that wasn't too fall from the recital location, I can't help but feel a sense of contentment wash over me, grateful for the support of Latalia. And as we settle into our seats for a celebratory meal, this moment felt nice. 

I no longer felt like I was carrying a weight for a brief moment. Watching her and Paris chat and laugh although a beautiful moment my heart sinks a bit. I think about how this should have been Isadora and I spending our time together with our daughter, I think Isadora would have like Latalia for her nice nature and expertise in the kitchen.

"Dad, can you tell me more about Mom? I know she was a chef like you. What was she like?" Paris asked bringing me out from my reverie of thought about Isadora. They must have brought her up in conversation that I was not really listening to in order to bring about this question.