Chapter 2 - Heated Encounters

2 Years Later, 2021.

"I propose a change in leadership." Liam Cornelius told the rest of the council with his arms crossed around his chest.

"That's outrageous!" Evelyn protested, her blood began to boil and frustration was drawn all over her face.

"You're not in the right state of mind, Evelyn. You're using all of our forces for futile matters. Monique Lockett is off the grid, you're letting her family roam free, and you insist on not using them as leverage to get her back. You can't lead the whole of lycanity to achieve a selfish desire. A false dream." Phoebe stated with frostbit eyes, her patience had reached its threshold.

"You can't just impeach me like this!" Evelyn roared, standing from her seat and slamming her two hands on the velvet desk.

"She's right, Phoebe, this just seems wrong! Evelyn is just doing what she deems correct, we need to trust her judgment." Cecilia stated, trying to de-escalate the situation.

"We did, did we not? Those were two years this woman wasted hunting down the Moonweaver when the yellow moon had already passed! Who knows when it'll be back even if we do manage to capture Monique!" Hector pointed to a seething Evelyn.

"Come on, this is far too drastic. Let Eve have a chance to fix this." Theo pleaded with the opposing council members.

"We already have, if you won't listen we can put it to a vote." Hector says, raising his hand, "I vote for Liam to replace Evelyn in the position of Sentinel."

"So do I." Phoebe did the same as Hector before continuing, "I'm sorry, Cecilia, but you're fighting for the wrong person." Four council members were divided into two sides, two with raised hands and the rest with disappointed glares.

"We need a tie brea-" Before Phoebe could finish, Evelyn interrupted. "A battle for the throne."

Silence befell the chamber, it was unlike Evelyn to suggest something so recklessly.

"What?!" Cecilia was the first to break the ice, shocked that Evelyn would choose to risk her position of power in a duel. A duel with the only council member to match her might.

Liam rose from the wooden chair he had been sitting on and spoke with a stern voice "If that's what it takes to lead our kind to a better future than you will give, then I'll agree. Tomorrow noon, arrive here and we shall fight for leadership. If you do not show up then we know your answer." with that he left the meeting room releasing a loud thud from the large oak door as he slammed it. Its sound resonated through the whole courtroom.

"I will not stand for this! Having internal conflict during the state of affairs? Fighting isn't gonna help, it never does!" Theo's usually calm demeanor shifted, his face was flushed with anger. Cecilia on the other hand looked more disappointed than irritated at the fracture within the council growing larger each passing day, but most of all she despised Phoebe's approach to handling the dilemma.

"Has your heart gone cold?! I knew you were always pragmatic but never this heartless to betray the woman who fought for our right as women to be seated in this very council!" Cecilia stood up and threw her robe on the ground as she stormed out, leaving Phoebe stunned and speechless. It was the logical choice, not the morally correct decision.

One by one the rest of the council dispersed and Evelyn rested her aching head on her hand as she wondered whether what she did was a mistake.

That evening a red phone rang loudly to be picked up by polished nails. "Lycans will be summoned by the council's meeting room tomorrow at noon. A lot of them will show up. I'll be sending you the coordinates, you know what to do. Get there in time." A mischievous grin plastered on their visage before immediately hanging up the call.