Chapter 1

Hisoka looked up from his 3DS, which was currently running his game of Animal Crossing: New Leaf. He glanced over at Shalnark and Feitan, who were engaged in a rather suspenseful-looking game of Connect 4. By the looks of it, Shalnark had the upper hand. It wasn't uncommon for troupe members to play games to pass the time, especially when the others were out on their own assignments. Hisoka stood and made his way over to the pair, who was seated on the ground.

"Hey." he said, sitting down.

Shalnark held a finger up, signaling for Hisoka to shut the fuck up for a second. His gaze was focused on the game in front of him.

"Quiet down, will you? This game takes loads of concentration and I won't have you ruin this for me. He's already beaten me seven times." Shalnark said, gesturing to Feitan as he finally made his move.

Feitan sat quietly, resting his head in his hands. He looked bored out of his mind and slightly in-pain, as always. "It's Connect 4, Shalnark. Chill out." He shifted his gaze to Hisoka. "Did you need something?"

"Actually, I did." the jester said. "But if you're in the middle of something..."

"And we are!" Shalnark shouted. "I'm sure whatever it is can wait." Hisoka was mildly intimidated. He'd never seen Shalnark this aggressive before.

"Just spit it out already." Feitan murmured as he made his move.

"Alright, alright," Hisoka said, raising his hands. "I just wanted to know if either of you were aware of the three police vehicles parked outside."

The two looked up at him in disbelief right as the main door of the church was kicked open. There stood a group of policemen, weapons aimed right at the three.

"Shalnark Johnson!" one of them shouted. "You're under arrest!"

Hisoka and Feitan remained still, staring at the cops. The same questions ran through each of their minds. How had they found this place? Why was only one of them under arrest?? What had he done???

Slowly, Shalnark rose to his feet and raised his hands above his head, the same nasty Shalnark grin plastered on his face as always.

"Okay, okay, I'll go with you. No need to hurt my friends, here."

He stayed where he was and the police made quick work of handcuffing him and dragging him outside. Hisoka and Feitan's eyes were both wide with disbelief. When the door was shut again, and the police were gone, they looked at each other.

"Uh. Do you..."

"No. I assumed you did."

"Nope."

"Ah. Okay."

They quickly fell back into silence, unsure of what to do next. What do you do when your friend is hauled away to jail right in front of you?

"Why didn't you do anything?"

"Why didn't you?!"

"I thought you were going to!"

"He looked like he had the situation under control!"

"You wanna be the one to tell the boss that?!"

Someone was going to have to tell Chrollo at some point or another that they'd just sat there as they watched a troupe member get taken away.

Hisoka sighed, digging his phone out of his pocket. "At least they came when they did. You weren't going to win that game."

When Feitan was done hurling the game across the room, Hisoka passed him the phone. "Maybe you should calm down a little before you call him." he suggested.

Feitan snatched it from him and dialed Chrollo's number from memory. "Maybe you shouldn't have dropped out of clown college." he said, raising the device to his ear.

Hisoka would never admit it, but that had deeply offended him. He scowled silently, watching Feitan. After a few rings, he finally heard Chrollo's muffled voice on the other end of the call.

"We've only been gone fifteen minutes. Something happened already?"

Feitan shut his eyes, looking defeated already. "Shalnark is in a bit of trouble."

"Where is he?"

Feitan took a deep breath before answering.

"Jail."