Chaos Theory

"I... I know what I have to do," Darius said. It was obvious that the others couldn't hear him or Sammy. He was aware he'd get an earful. Sammy was basically an older sister. Protective, always caring, trying to help and comfort. So, telling her he was going to take on two armed adults on his own when he was 12 wasn't going to go down well. She gave him a confused look.

"I'll go to the watering hole myself. I'll try and stop Tiff and Mitch. You go find everyone else and find a way off this island. If you're lucky, they lied and that boat is at one of the docks. I'll meet up with you guys afterwards... if-" he was cut off.

"Absolutely not! You're going to get killed if you go it alone," she reprimanded.

"I have to. This is all my fault," he said.

"What are you talking about?" she asked. Darius sighed.

"Look, the only reason Mitch and Tiff know about the watering hole is because I showed them. I'm the one who didn't listen to Brooklynn," he explained. He looked aside. He should've listened. He told her she was a paranoid attention-seeker when she was right to be suspicious. All because of his blind faith in Mitch, he'd pushed her away and gotten unjustifiably angry. He regretted it so deeply... she probably hated him, honestly. To have all these valid suspicions and your friend just- insults you and assumes you're wrong because they find one of the people you're suspicious of cool? All to be proven right? That had to be infuriating.

"The dinosaurs are in danger because of me. I promised you all that I'd get you home," he said, looking to the ground, "And I..." he looked at Sammy, who looked concerned.

"I already lost Ben," he finished. He hated remembering that. That he failed Ben and let him slip, let him die. He'd broken his promise. And he didn't want to break it to anyone else now.

"Darius, that's not your fault," Sammy began, "you're 12. You shouldn't have this much weight on you. You're the youngest of us all, but- you've kept me and Brooklynn and Yasmina and Kenji alive singlehandedly. We wouldn't be here without you."

Darius stayed silent for a moment, unsure of what to say. But he did then speak up.

"Mitch and Tiff definitely lied about the boat. It has to be on the Northwest dock, considering we're on the north of the island. Get everyone together and get off the island now while Mitch and Tiff are busy," he instructed.

"What about you?" Sammy asked him, grabbing his arm as he was ready to take off. He didn't say anything for a moment.

"I have to make this right," he said.

Then, the speaker kicked back up.

"We got your back, Darius! Forget the boat. Mitch and Tiff are going down!

No way. It couldn't be, could it? Darius felt his heart piece itself together immediately.

"Ben?!"

"You're- alive?!" Sammy asked beside him.

"Oh, right... you didn't know. Yeah. Also, we found the sound button, so we can hear you. And I defeated Toro."

Darius was stunned into silence, as was Sammy. He couldn't believe it. Ben was alive. Ben wasn't dead. Ben was back with them. He could barely make out Bumpy vocalizing in the background.

"Bumpy also says hi."

His jaw was on the ground. All this time, he'd thought Ben was gone. All this time, he thought he let Ben die. All this time, he thought he'd forever live with the guilt that he let Ben die, and destroyed any chance of him and his family reuniting.