First Day

Anne stared up at the monstrosity that was the HYBE building and willed herself to chill the fuck out. Her stomach had been doing flip flops ever since she had landed in Seoul two weeks ago and it was driving her mad.

Gritting her teeth, she stood on the sidewalk and shaded her eyes against the late morning sun as she tried to take in her new workplace. It was huge–comprised of steel, glass, and cold calculation. It reminded her of everything she had despised when she was a teenager. Just how many hearts and dreams had been broken behind those pristine walls?

Not for the first time, she wondered how in the hell she had ended up right back where she had been just 5 short years ago. Life certainly had a funny way of yanking her round and round in circles. If she ever met the bastard who was pulling on her fate strings, she'd throat punch them.

Steeling her spine, she sighed and smoothed out her pencil skirt before ascending the steps to the entrance. You are a badass. You're a smart, strong, competent woman. Now, go in there and own it!

Once inside, she approached the front desk and greeted the receptionist, "Good morning, Anne Song, here to meet with Mr. Jang."

The attendant nodded and handed her a temporary ID badge as she gave her directions. "Please sign in here and then head up to floor 10. Once there, head to office 5B."

Anne nodded and slipped the badge around her neck. As she walked over to the elevator bay, she couldn't stop herself from glancing nervously around.

Calm the fuck down. He's not just going to be hanging around the lobby. He's a global superstar for Christ's sake. Get it together!

The elevator zipped her up to the 10th floor and she got off, quickly making her way to office 5B. She rapped her knuckles against the glass and grinned at the man sitting behind a giant oak desk. He immediately jumped up and ran over to open the door for her.

"Ah! My precious Annie! Welcome home!" he cried out as he engulfed her in a bear hug.

"It's good to be back in Seoul, uncle Ju-won," she lied, hugging him back.

He leaned back and peered down at her, his dark brown eyes twinkling behind his glasses.

"My, my, how you've grown up. You always were such a pretty girl, and now you're a beautiful woman, Annie Bell!" he said, squeezing her hands in his.

Anne blushed and ducked her head. "Aish, don't start! Let's go into your office, shall we?"

He nodded happily and held the door open for her, then followed her inside. Settling back behind his desk, he leaned back comfortably in his chair and folded his hands over his considerable belly.

"Welcome to ADOR, Annie! I can't tell you how proud we are of you and how happy we are that you're here. You're going to make a great addition to our company," he told her excitedly.

Anne smiled softly and inclined her head. "Thank you. I'm happy to be working again. I've felt a little adrift since leaving my last position, but I suppose that everything happens for a reason..."

Ju-won lowered his gaze and hummed sadly. "Your grandfather's passing wasn't unexpected but it hit us hard nonetheless. He would be proud of you too, you know? He always talked about his smarty pants granddaughter, out there conquering New York City."

"I miss him..." Anne told him softly.

"I know Annie Bell, I know. But your mother and I are just so glad that you're back. She's missed you terribly. She was beside herself with happiness when you told her you were coming home."

"I know," Anne murmured, feeling guilty.

"Well, enough of that," Ju-won said, clapping his hands together, "let's get you oriented so you can start slaving away for one of the biggest music industries in the world."