6

A/N: just like the previous Chapter, there will be a music video available to listen to. I recommend playing it while reading the scene at the same time if background noise does not interfere with your literary focus.

-

Since the Emperor's departure two weeks have gone by and the Knights of the Shield was once again running at full force.

You make your leisurely rounds throughout the base, ensuring everyone and everything is in their place. Behind you, Nevine follows, her armor clinking and her golden yellow eyes passively staring at each passed agent.

“Master Tav,” she musters the courage to call out to you in the middle of the corridor, a good distance away from the nearest, busy-bodied agent.

What is it?” Your voice echoes in her mind, your arms behind your back while you levitate in place.

“I was thinking…” Her voice quietly trails off, and she stops herself from further saying anything else.

You pivot your body to face her, so that she knew you were actively listening out of consideration. “And what were you thinking about?

“To be exact, before they left, the Emperor and I got to talking…” she says, her brows indifferent on the topic. “…and they had asked me what my thoughts were if you were to venture with them as the Shield grow its numbers and influence.”

Oh?” You nonchalantly remark, intrigued. “And what are your thoughts on the question asked of you?

Nevine’s golden yellow eyes droop down toward the cold stone floor, her deep lids draping over them about halfway.

“I…I was not sure what to tell them,” she says, the middle space between her brows slightly scrunching as she recalls the scene in her head. “So, I asked them to give me some time to think on it because I don’t want my immediate reaction to be the only result.”

You smirk at her, proud of how level-headed she is. If you were any typical mind flayer, you would have made her your thrall from the moment your paths crossed. But. You did not. You value her for her. Even if she is a fragile little creature.

Did you give the Emperor your answer after thinking about it?” You ask, respecting her decision to confide her thoughts with you.

“Yes. I did. I gave them an honest answer a day before their departure,” she says, her solemn gaze directed at the ground retracing itself back to you.

Are you egging me on to ask you what that honest answer may be?” You light-heartedly poke fun at her, your voice serious but filled with openness.

Nevine lets out a small scoff of amusement, and then she looks at you with a meek smile.

“I think…I would be okay with it,” she admits, her voice softer than before. “I know I will be okay if you ever decide to go with the Emperor.”

She can’t help but smile fondly at you. “Just as long as you don’t forget about me. As a matter of fact, Master Tav, I do not want to be someone who holds you back or burdens you. And as sad as I would be I also think it would do us both some good. Because…how will the Knights of the Shield grow it forces if it is only the Emperor spreading its gospel amidst the shadows?”

You smile at her, sending a trickle of affirmation her way and slyly probing her mind.

You are a grand ally, Nevine. I cannot ask for anyone better,” you praise her, her answer true and your invasive flayer technique gone unnoticed.