Wolfsbane

The heavy weight of Stiles in his arms was almost enough to send Derek to his knees. His muscles screamed at him as they fought to knit themselves back together. Blood and ichor oozed from his wounds. The stench of wolfsbane stung his nose. Roscoe and Stella stomped in place nervously.

"Stiles," Derek pleaded. He pulled him in closer, his nose burying into his hair. He didn't know if he'd have the strength to get them home.

Praying that the threat was gone, he laid Stiles gently in the underbrush. He put his hands out, attempting to calm the horses. "Shhh, it's okay."

Roscoe stilled, but Stella continued to toss her hand and stomp.

Derek finally was able to get close enough to grab Stella's reins. His wounds pulled, causing him to wince. Blood trickled down his torso. He wouldn't last long with the wolfsbane in his system. The battle between his muscles trying to close and the wolfsbane keeping them open singed like fire kindling. Sooner or later, the wolfsbane would win out, and the stinging would spread into an unbearable fire. But he couldn't think about that right now. Right now, he needed to get them back to the castle.

Stella snorted as Derek ran a hand down her crest. Her stomping had stopped, but he recalled his father's many teachings. She was stressed and was likely to spook easy. He didn't want to risk being thrown or worse, Stiles being thrown.

"Alright, Roscoe, you're up." Derek let go of Stella and reached for the much calmer horse. Though he gave a small snort, he didn't resist as Derek led him to where Stiles was lying.

"This isn't gonna work. I hope you don't mind bareback," Derek unbuckled the saddle. He neared Stella to have her carry it, but she stomped and backed away.

"Not worth it," Derek chucked the saddle aside. He was too tired to fight with her. He'd buy a new one.

Derek leaned against a nearby tree, placing his hand to his torso. The blood was thick and oozed between his fingers, smelling heavily of poison. He wiped it away on his pants. He had to get Stiles home.

"Can you lie down?" Derek tugged on Roscoe's reins and tapped the back of his elbow. It was how his father had taught their horses. He hoped that by some miracle, Stiles had taught Roscoe how to lie down.

Derek nearly cried when the horse easily knelt down into a sternal position. "Good boy." he rubbed Roscoe's nose.

Kneeling by Stiles' side, he noticed his breathing was labored. "Please just hold on for me," he begged, carefully lifting Stiles into his arms. He grit his teeth, his torso pulling against the weight. Pain wracked through him, sending his vision wavering. He blinked away the darkness and laid Stiles over Roscoe's back.

"Come on. Up," Derek pulled Roscoe's reins, careful to steady Stiles as Roscoe pushed to his feet.

"Good boy." Derek was going to give this horse every treat in the barn when they got back. He turned to a still unhappy Stella.

"I need you to cooperate with me, now," he pleaded, taking her reins.

She stomped and tugged against him but inevitably followed. He gently coaxed her to Roscoe. With her reigns in hand, he led Roscoe to a fallen tree and, with a deep breath, hoisted himself up. His muscles tore against the movements, sending him nearly toppling from Roscoe's back. With long, slow, deep breaths, he steadied himself. Letting the pain calm down again. Fresh blood oozed from his newly irritated wounds.

Stella tugged against Derek, but he was able to keep her in his grip. He pulled Stiles up into a sitting position. His arm clasped tightly around his middle.

It was going to be an awkward ride, but Roscoe was cooperative, and for that, Derek was thankful.

Stella snorted and tugged against Derek at first but held her reins tightly. Once she fell into step beside Roscoe, he picked up speed. The sooner he could get them all back, the better.

Derek was hyper-aware of the wet spot growing on Stiles' back from his still bleeding wounds. He was also aware of the wet spot on his arm from Stiles' wound. Stiles' breathing was hard to hear over the sound of the horse's hooves beating along the path, but he focused and heard the shallow breaths, though they were noticeably weaker.

"Please," he begged. He wasn't sure who he was begging. Stiles to be okay? The horses to hurry up? Or maybe whatever god was listening.

The castle came into view in the distance. They had thankfully not gotten too far before being attacked. A twenty-minute ride at his current speed, if he had to guess.

"Help!" he shouted as soon as he neared the gate. "Someone, help!"

Guards rushed out to meet them, along with Gregory.

Derek slowed Roscoe. Stella had calmed enough to allow Gregory to take her. Guards swarmed Roscoe.

"He's been hurt badly," Derek winced, passing Stiles off to two guards.

Another guard helped Derek down. He grimaced, faltering into the guard's arms.

"You're hurt as well, sir," the guard said.

"We were attacked. On the road."

Kira, who ordered another guard to take Stiles inside, shouted, "Alert the king, do a perimeter." She turned to Derek. "Are you hurt as well, Your Highness?"

Derek moved his hand to show his torn, blood-stained shirt.

"Get him inside," Kira ordered the guard holding Derek up.

"Derek," Boyd shouted, running towards him. "I've got him," he said, taking Derek from the guard.

"Boyd," Derek leaned into him, thankful to be safe.

"What happened?"

"Wolfsbane," Derek whispered. He felt Boyd tense against him.

A bell chimed in the distance, alerting the grounds to a potential threat.

"Derek!" Cora shouted, running across the yard. She yanked away from a guard trying to stop her.

"Please, princess, it's not safe," he pleaded, running after her.

"I'm okay," Derek said before Cora collided into him, her arms wrapping around his neck.

He grunted in pain.

"Oh my god, you're bleeding." She pulled away, noting the blood stains now pressed onto the front of her dress.

"What happened?"

"Princess, please, I've been ordered to take you to safety." The guard took her arm, pulling gently.

"Are we in danger? Is someone attacking?" She asked, looking from the guard to Derek and back again.

"It's a precaution," the guard answered.

"I'm not leaving my brother's side." Cora yanked from his grasp again.

"I'll see that she's safe." Boyd nodded to the guard who looked relieved.

"What happened?" Cora asked again when the guard ran off.

"You need to get mother." Derek lifted his shirt to show the wounds.

Cora's breath caught. "Wolfsbane." She shook her head, though she looked conflicted. "I'm not leaving you."

"Cora, I'm with Boyd, go."

She huffed but turned, running as quickly as her dress would allow to find their mother.

"If you weren't half dead, I'd have a few choice words for you. Leaving alone without telling me. I'm liable to lose my head for this. But worse, I could have lost you."

"I'm sorry." Despite Boyd's anger, Derek could smell the worry was stronger. He would answer for this later, but for now, he needed help.

*AN*
Hope you enjoyed it! 😊