Chapter Thirty Three

Olivia Thorne

When the weekend rolled to an end we all began to load our things back into the vehicles which of course meant that Adrian and I had to load all of our things into the back seat of the Maybach, though there was seldom any need to bring anything to Waccabuc for the weekend because we had the clothing we needed, and all of the things that the weekend might bring out of us for activities on the water or around the home. I also knew that this was the one property that Adrian adored most because of the privacy that it gave him. He never worked from here, and I'd never seen him stressed when he sat around the fire, or on the water, or ever at the end of the dock having a cup of coffee.

I always wondered if Adrian ever wished that he didn't take on the task of being the CEO of Winters Group International. He was so smart but he always always seemed like he wanted to be away from people. like being away from all the drama that being who he was always seemed to bring the worst sides of him to light, because he had to live with the darkest part of him to the world. He was the one person I looked at and could see so many other paths for him in life.

He would have been excellent at raising and selling the race horses that were on his property in Wyoming, and I wondered if he would have enjoyed being there instead. Would have enjoyed waking up in the morning, and starting a truck, and loading up horses when they reached two or three and getting money for the well trained animals to others who wanted to compete with one another in shows and races. I'd seen him interact with his own horse, and no matter what he never gave up on training Nero. I'd also seen how much efficiency Adrian got from being around that one horse to get better at playing Polo and winning year after year with Thornbrook's team.

I also had gotten to see all over again who Adrian was when situations came up. He was the master manipulator of a trillion dollar empire and not even once had he pushed everyone else away when it came to his circle. He was what went bump in the night in terms of the business world, and I knew that his presence terrified people. It was what made the lawyers he'd hired so certain that no matter what got said or what was brought up in that court room, or even in the meeting rooms of Winters Group Tower, it would always go through.

Behind closed doors I saw the toll that running a business as large as Winters Group brought out in Adrian's insecurities in himself. Women were usually hard on their husbands testing them to see if they'll slip up and make a mistake for them to use against their man, or throw back at him. I didn't hold Adrian's weakest moments against him. I sat with him and comforted him in them, during his fears I listened, and when I needed to be heard he listened.

The look on his face as he pushed the trunk shut while rounding the car told me he'd learned of something in the few hours we'd all been awake and if I had to guess it wouldn't be something I'd want to hear, but would need too.

When the driver side door swung open, Adrian slid into the car and I glanced over at him as he buckled his seat, and turned the headlights on. His lack of expressive nature meant that the muscle tightness in his face, and the amount of his eye colour that showed, or the clenching of his fists, was what I had to go off of.

As he pulled the car out of the driveway and off along the road back towards New York, I flicked my eyes to him.

"What happened?" I ask and he flitted his eyes to me before he pressed his lips together with a long sigh.

"There's been a murder in New York, one of the defendants was gunned down as he left his townhouse. The police caught the shooter, and I recognize the idiot," Adrian says handing me his phone, and I saw the texts that he'd recieved from Logan.

Logan

Adrian we have a situation in New York.
Recieved 9:07

You never use periods what happened.
Read 9:08

Jason Aeros shot one of the former Ambrose Executives, he's dead, major bleeding in the lungs. Jason's arrested.
Recieved 9:09

Fuck, what now hell have to go for a murder charge.
Read 9:10

Yeah, any ideas for this one.
Recieved 9:11

Not yet but I'll let you know once I'm in New York.
Read 9:12

Staring at the messages I took them in and just as quickly I watched Adrian shake his head slightly. All while clenching the steering wheel, and the other rested on his thigh as he drummed at it with all the convictions of a man attempting to figure out how to get someone out of both a murder charge, and jail. Knowing Adrian he would come up with something that would be so elaborate that there would be no questioning his word, and another rumour or mystery to him and an involvement wouldn't do a damn thing to him or his conscience.

"You're plan is what, especially with the need for your appearance in court for the trial resuming tomorrow?" I ask and he just flashed me a smile.

"What I do in all situations where directly breaking the law isn't an option. I find a loophole, a faked death, a bail allowed buy some secret account, a breakout, even just a disappearance before the collection. I can make people disappear in the New York streets, I could make them disappear from  the face of the earth if I really wanted to," Adrian says his eyes glaring at the road.

"Getting someone to disappear from the country would be the best, what about somewhere in South America. No one is going to look that far from American borders especially since it would be easy to fake a disappearance, and then say that the vehicle or plane went down trying to flee the country,"

"The plane would have to be cheap enough to not cause a mass investigation, but still convincing so a PC-12 NGX might make the best option because it would mean the plane could leave with an empty tank, the escape would seem like a desperation act, and then when the plane goes down it's a red herring. No one guesses that the man got out, its recovered with a body mangled by the wreckage, and it wouldn't take much to have the accident written off as the body being too damaged, but video evidence provides proof. It's easily over as fast as it started. I'll have him picked up and smuggled into the country under a fake name, he'll register to a proper office using his actual name and it'll be over, no one would ever question him".

"Won't he be able to say it's you to save himself," I suggest and I'm met by Adrian's reassuring look.

"He won't he has too much to lose by staying in country, as for the money and payment, I have a versatile name depending on the language, I could have all numbers of names if I needed to," he says and I nod but I put a hand over his still tapping one, and gave it a light squeeze.

"What about the actual court trial, involving Ambrose Enterprises?" I ask knowing that Adrian would manage to create a plan and allow it to go exactly how he wanted it to. Adrian wasn't one to lose his cool or even his control over all aspects of his life and if he was going to make sure that the Ambrose trial went to his way, along with the removal of the shooter from US soil.

"For them I get to watch the fall of the old guard of our families history. The group will never be without complete blanket security because I'm paranoid about all of them. And that may never change, bellissima. It hasn't even for you," he admits and I nodded before turning to focus on the roads back to New York.

So that's today's chapter, I hope you all enjoy it, I also hope you all have a fantastic day, comment, vote, and share. Anyways

Peace✌️