Chapter 3

//3rd person POV//

"Maybe they wanted complete control. By creating their own Chaos Emeralds it would ensure that they'd be able to manipulate the power and ensure that it served its purpose and its purpose only."

Shadow nodded,

"The more they tried to restrain the power for themselves the weaker they became, which is probably why I could use this one but not the later models!" Sonic stared at his now tidy room with a wide smile on his face before looking back at Shadow,

"Your speed," Shadow started,

"What about it?" Sonic tilted his head to the side and fully turned his body to face him,

"Were they an effect of the experiments?" He asked

Sonic sighed, having been born with such abnormal abilities which was what got him there in the first place. "No, I was born this way."

// Shadow's POV //

It became quiet, so quiet that I could hear someone walking up the stairs and progressively coming closer to his bedroom.

"Shadow,"

I turned to look at him now ignoring the coming footsteps,

"I have to leave."

I could feel my heart sink, I'd grown so accustomed to having his annoying presence constantly around me that I couldn't even think nor would I want to even fathom what it would be like without him.

"Where will you go?" My voice came out more panicked than I had hoped and I could tell he noticed by the way he stared into my eyes. I could feel his beautiful emerald green eyes gaze into mine, trying to read my expression as he stared at me.

He hesitated, his voice laced with uncertainty as he spoke, "I don't know... But I can't stay here, it wouldn't be safe here for any of us if they came looking for me."

"Sonic you can't go off alone, what if they capture you!" I raised my voice and leaned closer to him,

"Shadow-"

"You won't have any way to contact me- us if you go off alone!" I quickly corrected myself,

Over the last few years, I'd found myself falling in love with him. Id never liked the thought of someone squirming their way into my life because I knew that before I'd know it they'd be gone. I'm immortal, but somehow Sonic always found his way back to me. It didn't matter how many times I yelled, fought, or landed him in the hospital he always forgave me. I've been nothing but a jerk but even then he'd always been patient and understanding with me. I hate him, and I hate how much I love him.

"Shadow.." I could hear him take a deep breath but I interrupted him before he could speak,

I wasn't sure if he'd agree but I had to try.

I can't afford to lose him.

"You can live with me!"

"Shadow that'd only put you at risk!" He yelled back as he gripped my shoulders and lightly shook me,

"Sonic I can take care of myself, I'm an agent." I insisted, "Or have you already forgotten?"

His grip on me tightened, he looked genuinely concerned, "Shadow you don't understand! They'll find us!" He argued, his voice strained with urgency.

"I have houses completely off the grid!" I quickly countered,

For a moment, there was silence. Then with a sigh Sonic relented, his gaze softened as he searched my eyes for what I could only assume was reassurance.