_CHAPTER TWO_

THE WAR GOD

'The Emperor's black heart? Given the title, it sounds like a fantasy story, right?' I thought, doubtful 'But there was no way he would give me a novel just for fun...Let see!'.

And so he slowly turned the cover and entered the book. The first thing he saw was a white page. Although it was a little yellow over the years, the words in the book were still clear.

Michael was holding the book so, as he held it, a bookmark fell out, It's a vintage style bookmark, the pattern comes from luxurious ancient Europe. Tied with a velvet rope and light brown sequins, tied very neatly.
Overall, it's a bookmark I've seen for the first time. According to the pattern, it seems to be from the 18th century.

I put my bookmark on the table and returned to focusing on the book. The first page of the book states:

THE WAR GOD
Once upon a time, there was an empire called Emberlyn, one of the most powerful empires in the world. In the empire, people spread word among nobles and commoners about an ancient legend involving a god.
Legend says that, during the years of constant war, the people suffered, a god appeared to defeat the enemy, bringing glory to the empire. People call that god the god of war.

Every year, every time there is a war, a person is chosen to continue the will of the god of war. The chosen person will have to find the black river and soak in it.
Legend has it that anyone who bathes in that river will have boundless power, but at the same time, if they cannot control the 'will of the god', they will be consumed by that power.

The criteria for the chosen person must be someone who is alert, brave, well-intentioned, and most importantly, someone who has a strong will to face the temptation of that power.
[...]______________________________

"Ah, What kind of novel is this!?" I thought "Does he want me to become an idiot like him?".
Michael close the book and put his feet on the table.
I just sat there pondering the novel, trying to think of all the reasons why Thomas gave it to him. If anything, this story isn't worth mentioning, but, if he gives me this novel, when should I return it?

After absorbing a ton of knowledge early in the morning, I was too tired to think any further. Just like that, I stood up from the chair and fell onto the soft bed next to me.
And just like that, I slowly fell asleep at night...

The book was on the table, the wind blew in the window, the book kept flipping in the wind. A line of text appeared on a piece of paper created by the wind, that's : "Royal knight Michael".