ఌ︎ 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

ᵃᶜᵗ ⁱ
ᵗʰᵉ ˡⁱᵍʰᵗⁿⁱⁿᵍ ᵗʰⁱᵉᶠ
ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ˣᵛⁱⁱⁱ

ᵃᶜᵗ ⁱᵗʰᵉ ˡⁱᵍʰᵗⁿⁱⁿᵍ ᵗʰⁱᵉᶠᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ˣᵛⁱⁱⁱ

they were pretty miserable that night.

they camped out in the woods, a hundred yards from the main road, in a marshy clearing that local kids had obviously been using for parties. the ground was littered with flattened soda cans and fast-food wrappers. they'd taken some food and blankets from aunty em's, but didn't dare light a fire to dry their damp clothes. the furies and medusa had provided enough excitement for one day. they didn't want to attract anything else.

they decided to sleep in shifts. percy volunteered to take first watch. annabeth curled up on the blankets and was snoring as soon as her head hit the ground. grover fluttered with his flying shoes to the lowest bough of a tree, put his back to the trunk, and stared at the night sky. lina was resting her back on the same thee, her look of admiration still intact.

"go ahead and sleep." percy told them. "i'll wake you if there's trouble."

grover nodded, but still didn't close his eyes. lina was looking at the satyr with what percy recognized as compassion. "it makes me sad." grover said.

"what does? the fact that you signed up for this stupid quest?" the blonde says.

"no. this makes me sad." he pointed at all the garbage on the ground. "and the sky. you can't even see the stars. they've polluted the sky. this is a terrible time to be a satyr."

"oh, yeah. i guess you'd be an environmentalist."

he glared at the boy. "only a human wouldn't be. your species is clogging up the world so fast... ah, never mind. it's useless to lecture humans."

"no, grover..."

"it's okay, lina. you should get some sleep, too." the satyr told her.

the girl let out a sigh, her eyes wandering between grover and percy. eventually, she stood up and -after saying goonight- she lied down next to annabeth, her eyes closing almost immediately.

she knew, even after such an exhausting day as today, she couldn't escape from her dreams.

in this dream, she was waking up at her cabin. the bed sheets she missed so much were surrounding her, her comfortable pillow under her head. she glanced around the place, finding nothing strange.

"miss me?" that voice. that terrifying voice that haunts her every day.

"no, please." she begged him, watching as he sat beside her on her bed.