Chapter Twenty-Six: Get your ass down here!

"Spot!" Race whines petulantly. "Get your ass down here!"

A deep sigh sounds from the top of the storage crate that Spot is perched on and he climbs down easily. "What?"

The blonde shoves Davey at his boyfriend and stares him down. "Tell him. Tell the king what you did."

Davey glares back at him for a moment before turning back to Spot. "It really isn't that bad, I swear." All he gets for this is a raised, expectant eyebrow. "Okay! I just walked here with Jack. No big deal."

"Jack...Kelly?" Nod. "You brought Jack Kelly onto our turf?"

"No! I know better than that. God, obviously! He just walked me to the bridge. I'd never bring him here without asking first."

The little vein on Spot's forehead disappears and he turns to Race. "You made me get down for this?"

"Yes! Obviously! It's fuckin' Jack Kelly. Walking home with our Davey! That is dangerous business, your majesty." The title is dripping with sarcasm, but the words are sincere.

Something tugs at Davey's heart for Race to call him theirs, but he doesn't mean it like that. He shakes it off and bumps his shoulder into Race's. "C'mon, I ain't stupid. You gotta trust me on this one. I will admit, I love him," he quickly silences his friend's protests, "But not like that. Not anymore, Racer." He looks him in the eyes and tries to express his sincerity, but Race sulks away.

Spot walks over and places a hand on his shoulder, squeezing gently. "You know him, doll. Stubborn asshole."

"And yet you love the guy," he teases.

"Yeah, we do," Spot agrees, tipping Davey's hat over his eyes and nimbly slipping away from grabbing hands. He is secretly happy that he did this, because a bright flush finds its way up to his ears.

"I- uh. I'm gonna go find Race," he says mechanically, turning away quickly. He misses the fond eyeroll and small smile that flash across Spot's face for a few moments before he carefully adjusts his face again. He wanders for a while, ducking under things and climbing on top of things until he gets to the highest point of the docks. Just as he is expecting, his friend is draped in the afternoon sun, already close to sunset as the Autumn drags on. He sighs and sits himself cross-legged next to him. "C'mon Racer. It's cold up here, you're gonna get yourself sick. God knows Spotty don't need that, right? You know how he is."

A mumble comes from under the arm draped over Race's eyes. "He's a worrier. He worries."

A chuckle. "Yeah, he does. Especially about you." There's a slight pause as Race lifts his arm up just enough to look at Davey with one eye. "Come down? Please."

Race shakes his head. "I'm pissed off at you."

"I just walked here! With a guy I'm friends with. He and I are never going to get together again, not that I understand why you care so much." He takes off his hat and runs a hand through his curls in frustration.

More silence. Race is quiet today for some reason. "I just... it's nothin'. I just don't wanna have to pick you up off of the ground again when he's done with you. He'll do what he always does; charm you, date you, and then break you into pieces. You don't deserve it, and neither do Spot and I."

"You and... what in the hell do you and Spot have to do with it? I'm sorry that you guys are my friends and I go to you when I'm upset. It won't happen again," Davey hisses. "I'll stop being such a nuisance and leave you alone." He turns around and climbs back down the scaffolding and storage containers to where Spot is waiting.

The boy catches him on the arm while he's in the middle of storming away. "Woah doll, where you goin'?"

"Ask your boy toy," he almost growls, wrenching his arm out of Spot's hand. "Actually, don't, since he clearly doesn't want to deal with me." He goes to leave, go home or to the park, or anywhere but here, but Spot swings his cane in front of his chest, blocking his way.

"Oi. Stop." He says, and Davey does. He's panting a bit from his climb and some of his curls have fallen from his hat and into his face. "Talk."

"Spot. Fuck off."

"No way, Mouth. Sit your ass down. You've both been wound up tighter than I've ever seen you, so you're gonna sit here and we're gonna wait for Racer to get his ass down here, and then you two are gonna fuckin' discuss whatever you've got goin' on." A pause. "Got it?"

Davey nods and sits down, back pressed against a container. Spot sits down next to him, and he puts an arm around Davey, guiding him to lay his head on his shoulder. He goes willingly but keeps his arms crossed. His hat rests on the bench next to him. Together, they wait in silence for several minutes, and Davey calms down. Then, he sees Race climbing down from the rafters and tenses up again.

The lanky blonde drops down and walks over to Spot, stopping when he sees his companion. "Thought you left," He mutters, dropping down next to his boyfriend.

"Didn't."

"Well I see that."

"Oh I wasn't aware you could see the obvious, I thought you needed it spelled out."

"Asshole."

"Lunkhead."

"Lunkhead?! What's that even mean?"

"Means you're an idiot."

Race stands up, followed by Davey. Spot stays seated, but on edge. "I used to think you was so much smarter than us, but clearly you're dumber than a rock!"

"I'm dumb? I'm not the dickhead who don't think I'm capable of taking care of myself!"

"Can you? I know you's smarter than me and everything, but you're dense as an ass! That boy is head over heels for you, obviously, look at yourself! And I think you're in love with him too. But he doesn't know how to treat you how you fuckin' deserve."

"Shut up."

"No! You gotta your fuckin' head around the fact that he ain't good enough for you! Just because you're in love with Jack-"

"I'm not!"

"You are, and I can't watch him-:

"I'm not in love with Jack, you fuckin' asshole, I'm in love with you!" The three of them all stop short, Davey's hands flying to cover his mouth, tears pricking at his eyes.

Race reaches out, but Davey flinches back. Race looks up at him anyways. "You're what?"