Pick Your Poison

Chapter title is based on a Percy Jackson oneshot in Ao3. https://archiveofourown.org/works/48435964

Check it out! It's amazing! Was actually the inspiration for this story, I took quite a bit of it for my first chapter.

Percy raised his sword. He hurled himself at the giant, but Polybotes swept his hand through the water, leaving an arc of black oily poison. Percy charged straight into it faster than Jason could yell, "Dude, what are you thinking?"

However, the poison didn't even seem to affect him, instead blasting away from the demigod as Percy charged right through it.

Jason could have sworn the demigod's eyes had momentarily turned the same green as the poison, but he had probably imagined it.

Noxious clouds expanded around the giant, filling the ruins like thick cigar smoke.

Jason scrambled backwards, but not fast enough. However, his ventus proved a useful filter. As the poison engulfed him, the miniature tornado spun faster, repelling the clouds.

When some got too close for his liking, Percy simply flicked his hand, sending it away. Kymopoleia wrinkled her nose and waved away the darkness, but otherwise it didn't seem to affect her.

"Kym!!"Jason yelled. "Is this really what you want?'

The storm goddess looked rather bored, idly spinning her metal disc. "Unlimited power? Why not?"

"But is it any fun?" Jason asked. "So you destroy our ship. You destroy the entire coastline of the world. Once Gaia wipes out human civilization, who's left to fear you? You'll still be unknown."

Polybotes snarled and tried to charge at him, but Percy distracted the giant by seizing his massive trident and jerking it wildly to the side.

"Actually, Jason Grace," Kym said, studying her fingernails, "now that you mention it, I do enjoy being feared by mortals. I am not feared enough."

"I can help with that!" He yelled as Percy kicked the giant in the chest, causing him to stumble backwards.

"AUGH!" The giant staggered.

He flew to Kym's side. "You know gods depend on mortals. The more we honour you, the more powerful you get."

"Wouldn't know. I've never been honoured!"

She ignored Polybotes, who was now stampeding around her, trying to swat Percy and yank Jason out of his whirlwind. He was doing pretty badly, as Percy had managed to get the giant's trident-arm tangled in his own net.

"I can change that," he promised. "I will personally arrange a shrine for you on Temple Hill in New Rome. Your first ever Roman shrine! I'll raise one at Camp Half-Blood as well, right on the shore of Long Island Sound. Imagine, being honoured –"

"And feared."

"-and feared by both Greeks and Romans. You'll be famous!"

"STOP TALKING!" Polybotes swung his trident like a baseball bat.

Jason ducked. Kym did not. The giant slammed her in the ribcage so hard that strands of her jellyfish hair came loose and drifted through the poisoned water.

Polybotes's eyes widened. "I'm sorry, Kymopoleia. You shouldn't have been in the way!"

"IN THE WAY?" The goddess straightened. "I am in the way?"

"You heard him," Percy pitched in, catching onto Jason's plan. "You're nothing but a tool for the giants. They'll cast you aside as soon as they're through destroying the mortals. Then no demigods, no shrines, no fear, no respect."

"LIES!" Polybotes tried to stab him, but Percy sent him flying backwards with a stream of water. "Kymopoleia, when Gaia rules, you will rage and storm without restraint!"

"Will there be mortals to terrorize?" Kym asked.

"Well ... no."

"Ships to destroy? Demigods to cower in awe?"

"Um..."

"Help us," Jason urged. "Together, a goddess and a demigod can kill a giant."

"No!" Polybotes suddenly looked very nervous. "No, that's a terrible idea. Gaia will be most displeased!"

"If Gaia wakes," Jason said. "The mighty Kymopoleia can help us make sure that never happens. Then all demigods will honour you big-time!"

"Will they cower?" Kym asked.

"Tons of cowering! Plus your name in the summer programme. A custom-designed banner. A cabin at Camp Half-Blood. Two shrines. We'll even throw in a Kymopoleia action figure." Percy added.

"No!" Polybotes wailed. "Not merchandising rights!"

Kymopoleia turned on the giant. "I'm afraid that deal beats what Gaia has offered."

"Unacceptable!" the giant bellowed. "You cannot trust this vile Roman or his Greek companion!!"

Percy's eyes flashed dangerously, seemingly offended at being referred to as a 'Greek companion'.

"If I don't honour the bargain," Jason said, "Kym can always kill me. With Gaia, she has no

guarantee at all."

"That," Kym said, "is difficult to argue with."

As Polybotes struggled to answer, Jason charged forward and stabbed his javelin in the giant's gut. Kym lifted her bronze disc from its pedestal.

"Say goodbye, Polybotes."