The Secret Of The Moors (by Glenn Riley)

"The moors lied

"The moors lied. Their fog-shrouded beauty masked a hunger... a hunger as old and desolate as the wind itself."

The fog on the moors was like a suffocating blanket, thick, oppressive, and smelling faintly of peat and decay. Johnathan shivered, not from the penetrating chill, but from the unsettling feeling of solitude that pervaded the empty road. Lost and weary, the Victorian businessman had been walking for hours, his gentleman's shoes ill-suited for the rough terrain. His carriage had succumbed to an errant rock hidden in the swirling mist, its axle irrevocably damaged.

Then, he saw it - a wavering light piercing the gloom, a promise of sanctuary amidst the unforgiving wilderness. As he stumbled closer, a structure loomed out of the veil - a rustic, old tavern with smoke curling tentatively from its stone chimney.

Desperation fueled his urgency. He rapped on the hefty wooden door, the sound reverberating in the unnatural silence. Moments passed, each feeling like an eternity, before the door creaked open a sliver.

"Who's there?" A woman's voice, surprisingly soft in contrast to the rugged surroundings.

Johnathan stepped closer, the light revealing his bedraggled form. "Please, my good woman," he rasped out, "I'm lost. My carriage has met with an accident...is there a room spare? Any sort of succor would be a divine mercy."

The door opened wider, and within the dimly lit entrance stood the source of the voice - a young woman. Even beneath the layers of plain fabrics, there was a captivating beauty about her - flowing auburn hair, skin pale as moonlight, and eyes that shone like forest embers. Something about her sent a frisson of unease through Johnathan, but he brushed it off as exhaustion mixed with a disconcerting touch of attraction.

"Of course, sir. Come in, come in. You look half-frozen," she ushered him, the door swinging shut behind them. The interior was cozy but dim, a fire crackling bravely in the hearth, its feeble light barely reaching the shadowy corners.

"Such an establishment here..." Johnathan began awkwardly, searching for conversation.

She cut him off with a wave of her hand, "Yes, quite out of the way, isn't it? And, I must say, hardly any guests...it's usually just myself. But you are in luck, Mr...?"

"Whitaker. Johnathan Whitaker. And my thanks are endless. Perhaps a hot meal to stave off this chill?”

"Indeed, Mr. Whitaker, and it seems it’s your lucky night. There is a stew just finished simmering." A small, nervous smile, the first he'd seen from her, flitted across her face. Then, before Johnathan could offer proper thanks, she vanished into what seemed to be a kitchen area.

Left alone, he took off his soaked coat, his eyes wandering around the empty space. There was a strange unsettling absence to the tavern. No tankards hanging behind the bar, no sounds of merriment or gossip filtering down from above. He could have sworn he'd heard noises that didn't belong: a muffled clinking from somewhere at the back, a creak above him as though someone was walking on the floorboards.