Chapter Four

Rachel caressed Nora's shoulder in an attempt to help her stay calm. She was worried because Nora had been quite stiff for a while, just staring at her dad who laid on the bed. 

Finally, Nora made a sound by breathing hard. “So he's going to die?” 

Laura, the nurse who was taking care of Eric, glanced at Nora and sighed too. “As long as he receives the care he needs, he will be fine.”

“Be fine?” Weak, she turned to look at the nurse, tears already pouring down her face. “His kidney, liver, lungs, and heart are almost dead. And you think he'll be fine?”

“Miss Nora…” the nurse called in a soft tone. This had been the first time in a while since Nora had met a nice nurse. “I'm so sorry about this situation but I want you to be hopeful. If he does all the surgeries he needs, he might be as good as new. Although rare, we've had such a situation before. We can figure this out together.”

Nora turned to Eric and whimpered, “This is my fault. He shouldn't be going through all of these.”

“It's gonna be okay,” Rachel consoled. 

“We'll wait for your decision,” Laura said. 

Nora turned to her. “Start what needs to be done. ASAP. Just do it.”

“But the medical bills? He's still owing—” Laura was about to protest but thought to keep quiet. “O-Oh, sorry. I'll speak to the doctor immediately.”

Saying that, she left the room. 

Rachel sighed and took Nora's hand. “I can try to assist you with some cash but honestly, this would cost you so much.”

Nora stood up from the side of Eric's bed, still looking numb. She gulped and inhaled hard. “You won't have to. I'll be back.”

With that, she walked out of the room. She used the building's elevator to go to the first floor and with shaky legs, she headed to her car. She didn't know if she was alive but she knew she needed some alone time. 

Getting into her car, she stared at her steering wheel without paying attention to it and slowly, she started to sob. She put her hands over her mouth and like a maniac, she mumbled, “Why? Why me? What do I do? Oh Lord, please.” She yanked at her hair like she was running insane. “W-Where do I start from? Wh-What do I do? What?” 

Suddenly, she was quiet. She stared at nothing. As if something had just been ignited in her head, she gasped, and weirdly, she started laughing. She laughed so hard but did not stop weeping. 

She didn't know what was happening to her but she took her phone and dialed Ray Lorenzo's number. 

He did not pick up. 

Feeling more frustrated, she wanted to tossed her phone but that was when her phone rang. Ray was calling back. She immediately swiped her thumb across the phone's screen to answer his call. 

“Yes?” In a low, thick, and uninterested tone, Ray greeted. 

She took in a breath to stay calm so it would not be obvious that she had been crying. “Can I… meet you tomorrow? About the business contract.”

“On a Saturday?”

She nodded as if he was there with her. “Yes. If you don't mind.”

“I'll text you an address.”

“I'm in for that.”

“See you then.”

He just hung up. He really was mean. He didn't even care to ask what made her bring up the topic of the ‘business contract’. 

Beyond Our Arrangementजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें