Chapter 10

"Minister of Magic," the elevator says in its monotone voice. There has to be a way to convince Kingsley that I cannot supervise Draco. He's bullied me my whole childhood and has always wanted me dead. If Kingsley for some reason wants a death sentence against me then by all means I guess this is the way. There are plenty of aurors out there, but he wants me to take care of him? I'm not babysitting anyone. Especially not a racist git like Malfoy.

My mind turns and turns as I walk the halls until I reach Kingsley's office. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I file away all emotions and build up a neat brick wall around them. If I'm going to convince Kingsley, I can't be sporadic and emotional. I must be poised and be able to give a fair argument. I will not let this boy in my home with my friends.

As I am about to knock on his door, the door opens on its own. Kingsley is sitting at his desk writing. He looks up, "Ms. Granger, I've been expecting you. Please come in."

The door closes behind me and I walk up to sit in one of the chairs in front of his desk. The room's walls are navy blue and lined with dark wooden bookshelves. It is a dream of mine to have bookshelves where I would need to use a ladder. If I can have a room like this in the future, I know that it will be my forever home.

The office is extremely satisfying to look at. Although there are many trinkets that have been collected that are on the shelves and tables, they are all similar colors of various steels or silvers. The ceiling has a similar bewitchment to the Great Hall at Hogwarts where it seems like stars and clouds are floating in the sky above.

Next to his desk, a dark brown owl with sharp eyebrows sits on a perch with bright yellow eyes staring back at me. It softly blinks and bends over to clean its feathers.

"I am assuming you are here because you want to talk about becoming Draco's supervisor."

I sit up straight, "Yes. I don't mean to be rude, but I think you've made a mistake. It is not a good idea for Draco to be living with Ron, Harry, and I. You'll probably lose three aurors because of how much we'll argue."

"I know you're very hesitant about this situation, b-"

"Not hesitant Kingsley," I interrupt, "I am denying this request. There is too much history of bullying and racism on his end to be able to safely live together."

Kingsley reclines in his chair and crosses his arms, "Hermione, this is not a request. This is an order."

"But-"

"'Please let me explain my reasoning. I believe Draco has potential to become a positive influence on the world. He is extremely intelligent and hard working. However, because of his upbringing, he hasn't had people to guide him in the right direction." He sits back up, "Look at the situation that you've been grown up in. Ron, Harry, and everyone else important in your life have been positive influences on your life. It's no coincidence that you didn't become a death eater right?"

"I guess," I admit.

"Now look at Draco. Grew up with a father who is a death eater, an aunt who is a death eater, and friends whose parents are also death eaters. What did anyone expect for Draco? It was inevitable. But I think you three can show him the light. This is a second chance for him to see life differently."

"But sir, none of us can stand him. He's spoiled, entitled, and did I mention racist?"

"I think if you have patience, then all four of you will have a change of heart. Find similarities and build off of that. I trust Hermione that especially you, no offense to Harry or Ron, will have the best judgment. You always think logically rather than emotionally which I appreciate. It's not going to happen overnight. I hope you know that."