Saturday

I arrived at work and walked into the kitchen. I put on the first pot of coffee and grabbed a double shot energy drink. I cracked it open and gulped the coffee down. I put my earphones in and played my morning playlist to get me in the zone. The morning cook arrived shortly after and began her side of prep. I made sure everything was stocked and good to go, before going to check the papers. I began making cards and an hour later my coworkers began to arrive. It was starting out well and I had only one complaint, coworkers, sure they did the bare minimum but I mean, seriously? Step it up.

I joked and laughed with them as we commenced service. We dished out trays and when we finished service we began to stock up the fridge, the same ol' same ol'. It wasn't until after the last service of the day shift that it all went down. My coworkers left and I stuck around to talk to the boys on Nightshift. Derek, Hunter, Mark, Adam and Zach the cook, worked the night with a few newbies. I was talking to them about how the service went, like a daily report so they know what to expect for the upcoming dinner service. Mark received a call from the kitchen phone and left to take the patients what they ordered.

3:10 everyone's phone started blaring. That eerie unsettling alert that issues for important messages. I yanked out my headphones, I felt deaf, the volume was on the highest level. I looked at my screen to read the report.

'Attention! This is a National Emergency Alert! For the safety of you and your family please remain indoors. Report any suspicious activity or suspicious acting persons to your local police departments. This is National Emergency Alert!'

What the hell was this about? The boys started scanning the medias they were on. They were trying to find anything on the situation. We were taken by surprise as the intercom on the hospital overhead speaker beeped on. The voice that rang out said, "Code Bronze! Code Bronze for every unit in the hospital! I repeat Code Bronze."

For those of you who don't know a Code Bronze meant lock down. The units close and seal or lock down to prevent intruders from entering or leaving. The intercom continued, "Code Purple, ER, Code Purple, ER, Code Purple, ER!"

A Code Purple was meant for Security, so the guards were going to the Emergency Room. Maybe there was active violence but that code wasn't called, maybe it was a suspect? I didn't know. Until the Code Bronze was lifted no one was allowed to leave.

What are the odds of a national emergency alert and these codes being called on the same day? My mind was reeling trying to connect imaginary dots.

Derek stood up and stretched, "Imma check on my kiddos."

"Same." Hunter agreed, after him everyone started calling their families. They were checking to make sure everyone was okay and if anyone had found anything out about what was going on. There were reports of global incidents but nothing concrete. Our attention was brought back to the world around us as muffled bangs hit out ears.

"What the hell was that?" Adam asked.

"Were those gunshots?"

"Bro those were gun shots." Hunter confirmed.

More muffled bangs. The intercom beeped on once again. "Code Silver, Code Silver, Code Silver." A code Silver was active violence."

What was going on in the Emergency Room?

Another announcement this one need security on Medical Surgery, also know as MedSurge or 2West. After that one ended another one, Critical Care needed security as well.

I walked through the cafeteria and into the kitchen. I peeked out the kitchen door. No one in sight and no sounds to be heard. I stepped out into the empty hallway and approached the set of double doors. No one. I shoved them but the doors didn't budge. Magnetically sealed. A scream pierced the silence and more gunshot were heard.