𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 17

𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 17

𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 17

EFFIE BRUSHES A DUSTER OVER MY PHOENIX SUIT. I stand in front of a tall full body mirror in my room. "Well, it's bound to be quite the show." She tells me and places the duster down. I stare at myself in the mirror and she places her hands on my arms.

"Oh, you look lovely as ever." She smiles at me. "Just beautiful." I smile at her in the mirror. "Finishing touches." She says and takes a step away to grab something. My nightlock pill is in my hand and I tuck it into my armour. I don't want to use it.

Effie hold my bow and quiver in her hands. She puts the quiver on and I hold the bow in my hands. "Are you ready Carabelle?" She asks me and I nod.

˓𓄹 ࣪˖ ⋆ ࣪. ˖ ࣪⭑

As I walk through the Avenue of Tributes, I'm forced to remember the both times I rode on a chariot through here. The walk is long and the stands are filled with people. No one speaks. Drums are hit as I walk and President Coin walks onto the balcony.

People move and walk behind me. A crowd of us stalk forwards. The victors stand on opposite sides of President Snow, who's changed to a pillar. I lock eyes with Cato as I step forwards.

I stop walking and stare at Snow. He has a small smirk lacing his face.

"Welcome to the new Panem!" Coin's voice echoes around me. "Today, on the Avenue of the Tributes. All of Panem, a free Panem, will watch more than a mere spectacle. We are gathered to witness an historic moment of justice."

"Today, the greatest friend to the revolution will fire the shot to end all wars. May her arrow signify the end of tyranny. And the beginning of a new era." I look at Coin and we lock eyes.

"Phoenix, may your aim be as true as your heart is pure." She doesn't say my name. She calls me by something she used me for. She wants to force more innocent children to slaughter each other. She's going to do it anyway, no matter our votes.

I'm not going to let her.

My heart beats quickly beneath my chest and I reach for an arrow from my quiver. I place it on the string and pull it back. I look at Snow. He isn't scared. I think he knows what I'm going to do.

I glance back at Coin. She killed Prim. I lift my bow and let the arrow fly. It soars through the air and embeds itself in Coin's chest. She falls forward and the crowd screams. Snow cackles in laughter and I reach for another arrow.

I'm still going to kill this monster. Snow locks eyes with me and the arrow pierces his chest. Arms grab mine and pull me backwards. I don't try to fight. Cato rushes forward but gets held back by Haymitch and I'm pulled away from everyone.