BATTLE ON THE HIGH SEAS

BALAM

I reclined in the plush deck chair, enjoying the sun's warmth on my skin as the boat swayed beneath me. The boundless expanse of the sea stretched before my eyes. The azure waters merged seamlessly with the vibrant blue skies. Cradled in my hand was a crystal flute filled with bubbling champagne.

Primordial Thought had forced me onto an odyssey filled with many obstacles and daunting trials. Each test had been more complicated than the last, shaping me into someone I never expected to become. Despite attaining everything I had ever yearned for: my masculine physique, family, and memories, I was not where I needed to be.

Memories of my weakness in Atlantis haunted me, my mind returning to confinement in the demon blood-tainted water bubble; Triton had trapped Kai and me, who was once known as Taurus. We were sitting ducks; my purification magic was the only thing I could summon to keep us alive. A skill I loathed, for fear it would unravel everything I had fought hard to become, was all I had to defend myself. I was humbled, realizing I had overestimated my strength compared to Jalen, the Zodiac Pisces. When he approached me in the woods, I doubted his ability to step up to the occasion and feared that I would have to take the lead in the journey. Fortunately, Jalen had proven to be an adaptive learner of his old powers.

I took a sip from the flute and let the carbonation burn my throat. Dwelling on the past would do me no good, so I wouldn't allow myself to. I had dedicated myself to rigorously honing my abilities since we embarked. I had few plants to work with, so I focused on the deck's wood and what I could create from the depths. The Atlantean crew, all with pastel-shaded skin, helped me train. Their strength and speed were better than humans, making them great sparring partners.

With my mind, I reached for the potted monstera that sat several feet behind me and stirred the essence within it. My magic-focused style of conjuring plants only took a thought to work. Manipulation was complex; it required negotiation and coaxing, for which I needed more patience. Unlike Kai, who could manipulate the earth as he saw fit, and Jalen, who had dominion over water.

We had been sailing for three straight days, heading towards Kuwait, where the video of Aries had been produced. It wasn't guaranteed to be Aries since his face was covered in the video, but I had a good feeling about it. The sword was the unmistakable gleam of our milky white weapons coated in eerie black blood.

Based on what I could decipher from my restored memories, it made sense that he was in the desert. Most had been of him in the desert when he was not engaging in battles. From what I could pull from the jumbled mess of memories, Aries had held a special place in my heart. I recalled pieces of his face, gleaming eyes, and mouth tucked into a straight, tight line. From the general location of the video, he had chosen a place where he would fit in, around people who looked like him. We all had. Living a thousand lives taught you how weary humans could be?

I rose from the deck chair, the taste of champagne lingering on my tongue, and paced the ship's deck. As I walked, I pondered what life had been like for my fellow Zodiac Aries. None of our existences had been uncomplicated. Mine had been uniquely complex because I presented as a woman for most of it. Society had relegated me to an unequal status compared to men. I had been compelled to defend myself more than I would have preferred and confronted with dangers I doubted any other Zodiacs had to face.

When I was alone, all I had was my purity and animal commanding abilities, which weren't the strongest of offensively. I lived in the rainforest, communicating with animals, and I missed that now more than ever. I really missed my pet Ginko, whom I had to send away at the beginning of our travels. Bringing him along would only endanger him, which would not have been fair.