Chapter 1 | The Stranger

The rain started falling when the tinkling door opened before the imposing figure of a man in his thirties. He didn't immediately remove his hood, which was soaking so wet that large drops of water fell onto the tiled floor. He might have been waiting too long because the entire place started to look at him, wondering what that strange unknown visitor might have been doing. Finally, his dark curly hair revealed a strong face whose square jaws gave him a stern look.

— Please, can you close the door? said a girl who was sipping a suspiciously coloured drink.

The man wordlessly pushed back the heavy wood as if it were a kind of precious gate. He then sat down just as carefully at the nearest table. If his cautious behaviour looked strange, most of the guests decided to definitely ignore it. No doubt the taste of their drink was more appealing. Moving forward, the host asked:

— What would you like to drink?

— Anything that you recommend.

— In that case, the waffles with an orange chocolate coulis. My wife cooks it herself.

— I will take the waffles then.

The host immediately disappeared into the kitchen, leaving a few indistinct murmurs to be heard. Slowly, the sound from all the conversation started to cover the heavy rain noise and the storm raging outside. After a while, the sweet-smelling pastry was brought in. With only two bites, the man felt a strong and unexpected sensation. It was like finding the perfect cushion after spending one entire month sleeping on a spring mattress. The flavour flowed inside his tongue before vanishing softly. Searching for this new sensation, he grabbed the fork and stuck it into the waffle, pulling it apart to spread the fruity chocolate into the hot pastry. After that, he bit and bit it again, then lapped and lapped the plate. Whether he was hungry, or just a great gourmet, the plate was perfectly washed. As did the happy heart of the host, who was delighted to have such a good guest.

Oriane, viens voir ça, he said in French.

Quoi ? Un problème, she replied when entering the room.

Suddenly, a powerful wave overwhelmed the guest, who was still licking his lips so as not to lose a crumb of chocolate. He truly didn't expect to face such a strong feeling when entering this coffee shop. With her sharp eyes and perfect gestures, the lady might have been a role model if she wasn't working in a coffee, proving that her social ascension lost the road to the summit. Nothing to be ashamed of. The world was full of common people, running after common dreams which never belonged to them. On the other hand, these normal, ignorant people avoided the worries of the bloody, merciless world from which the man came.

The lady squinted at him as if scanning every inch of his face. After a moment, she turned back, whispering to her husband:

— Give him another pastry, the poor bum looks famished.

The man in question quivered. He had much better hearing than the average person, but shouldn't let anybody know. Bowing the head, he resigned himself to clench his teeth and ignore the humiliation. It was time to pay. Standing cautiously so as to not hurt any furniture, he walked up to the counter and asked for the bill. He asked:

— Do you know where I can find a place for the night?

— I would recommend the hostel, at the corner of the street.

— Thank you, I will come back.

— OK, as you want.

Turning on his heels, he left. The door had hardly finished ringing when an old man drinking a coffee commented:

— What a strange man! Why do we need to know what's his plan? Beware of this kind of people, Gui. I don't have a good feeling about this chap.

— Don't worry, he is just a nice customer who eats and pays well. I don't ask for more.

He hadn't the time to finish what he was saying, when the door opened again, welcoming a young, fair-haired boy.

— Hi Kartein! Nice to see you. What's news?

— Are Aloïse and Gaël here?

— They're upstairs. Do you want me to bring you waffles?

— Sure, sir! Thank you.

The boy climbed the stairs that creaked under his feet, then pushed a squeaking door and jumped on the couch where his friends were playing. The twins looked as bored as usual. Rolling from the sofa to the parquet floor, they resembled two felines consumed by a life of boredom.

— What are you doing, guys?

— Nothing, for sure. As usual.

— As forever.

— Let me join you. I enjoy so much doing nothing with you.

— Won't your parents complain again? Last time, they went to our shop and yelled at our father for half an hour. Mom said that it might be better if you don't come.

— Do you do everything your mom says?

— Not so much, replied a strong voice behind them.

Kartein as such as the twin was startled. The three of them rolled down, trying to escape the strict face of the landlady. She grasps the youngest, failing to reach the boys. Aloïse claimed her innocence and asked for her brother to rescue her. Sadly, his loyalty couldn't stand the mother's absolute power. Betraying his twin, he jumped through the window and cautiously went down, following his restless friend.

The blond boy, showed the way to the street, running quickly so that he could avoid adults' authority. In his hast, he collided with the back of a massive man whose muscles were so strong that his immobility threw him to the ground. Gaël immediately helped him up and, without waiting for the stranger to react, the two kids took off running.

— What a gifted boy, said the man as the children vanished into the alleyway.

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜

*Gui is a French name that's pronounced [ghee].