The Right Choice

Seojun did not understand why his nausea followed him around all day. Normally, when sitting in front of Jukyung, Seojun forgot everything. His injuries would stop hurting, the cloud of his anxieties would clear away, and the world would just become a little but brighter.

But now... now that magic wasn't working. Even though he was sitting across from Jukyung inside their favorite restaurant—cheap place where they would normally get tteokbokki (for Jukyung) and their least spicy ramyeon (for Seojun)—Seojun still felt like the world was tilting and that he had more than just food that he wanted expelled from his body.

Jukyung was droning on and on about how she wished Seojun would take care of himself and how his mother worries about him and how good sons should not be worrying their mothers. But Seojun could barely keep up. His mind was in a loop and try as he may, the world was just not making sense today.

He had decided to meet up after their phone call. He was confident that Mansik, Gunwoo and Jinwoong could manage a few hours with the vampire while he assuaged the worries of his mother and his mother's mafia. No wait, spy, he meant spy.

He had wanted to see her, hoping her presence would grant him some peace and clarity. So far, it had done neither.

Suddenly, Seojun blurted out, "Do you think I'm a good person?" He was just as surprised as Jukyung was by this question.

"Hmm? What do you mean?"

"I mean, do you think I'm a good person?" he said with more emphasis.

"Of course, I do," Jukyung did not hesitate.

Seojun felt his shoulders relax, but the nauseating feeling building up inside him was still there. "How do you know?"

"I've known you since high school. I think I have a fair idea," Jukyung laughed. "What's this about?"

Seojun shook his head. "Nothing," he said. Hesitantly, he added, "Aside from knowing me all these years, what is it about me that makes you think I'm a good person?"

"Seojun is something wrong?" Jukyung asked, concerned.

"Nothing's wrong! It's just..." Seojun couldn't find the words to say it.

"You have a good heart," Jukyung said, kindly, letting her question remain unanswered. "You're loyal and kind to your friends. You would do anything for them. I see that with how you stayed up all night to help Chorong with his exam, even though you hadn't studied a word for your own. And how you always protected Gowon from those girls who used to bully her. You're a good person, Han Seojun. I have no doubt about it."

Seojun could feel the blush deepening on his cheeks with each compliment Jukyung gave him. She was always so generous in her opinion of others. It was why he always felt so protective of her. She never had any bad opinion about anyone.

But that was why he couldn't believe her. He couldn't believe that she would ever see the bad parts of him. "You're the wrong person to ask," he chuckled. "You're too kind."

Jukyung clicked her tongue. "Ah-nee-ya! I mean it!"

Seojun grinned at her animated response. But then his grin slowly faded as he said, "What if... what if I did something bad? Like kidnapping a person and locking them up. How would be able to tell? Nobody ever knows that a person is some psycho or a lunatic, do they?"

Jukyung tilted her head, thinking about it. "I'm offended. If you're a psycho and a lunatic, why haven't I been kidnapped?" she chuckled.

"I have standards. I don't just kidnap any other woman, you know," he said with a twinkle in his eye.