4 - Pathological People Pleaser

SENA'S POV

It's Saturday morning when my boyfriend and I meet for brunch after what feels like an eternity of not seeing each other due to our busy schedules. Well, his busy schedule because I'm not too busy to make time for him. Of course I have a boyfriend and, of course, he's a doctor. I figured if I didn't become one, dating one would make my father less disappointed in my career choice. It's not that I don't love what I do—I do, wholeheartedly—but with my boyfriend being a doctor, it's like a small consolation prize for my father. At least one of us is contributing to the noble cause of saving lives and upholding the family legacy.

Ujin is always busy but I would never want to stand in the way of his work so I only make plans when he's free. I check his schedule, choose where and what we'll eat, and then I make the reservations. Today, we're trying out a new café that just opened up downtown, and I'm excited to spend some quality time with him, but why is he on his phone instead of telling me how much he missed me and why is he dressed in sweatpants and a hoodie when I spent the whole morning picking out a cute outfit and doing my hair and makeup?

"Ujin?" I call when he goes silent for a while, waving my hand in front of him to get his attention, but all he does is raise his eyebrow, not even looking up from his phone. It doesn't seem like he's listening to me, and I guess he just has something more important at the moment so I don't press further. Instead, I pick up my phone and take a picture of the food we're served to post it on social media, soft-launching my boyfriend once again.

Our relationship is a little different than others, and Ujin prefers to keep a low profile on social media. He's not a fan of being in the spotlight and I respect that, my millions of followers know who he is in my life but no one knows who he actually is or what he does. They must think he's the most amazing boyfriend a girl can have, always being there for me, supporting me through thick and thin. I mean, he's good at what he does and my family likes him, but is he really the most amazing boyfriend? I think I've seen better.

"What did you say?" He asks while I'm staring at my food, not really in the mood to eat anymore. I've had a granola bar earlier but it's definitely not what's making me feel full. When I look up at him, his gaze is still on his phone's screen and his fingers are still tapping away, seemingly engrossed in whatever he's doing.

"Are you going to spend our time together being on your phone?" I blurt out the word, folding my arms against my chest and only then does he look up, his expression shifting from distracted to annoyed. Why does he look annoyed when I'm the one being ignored? When I'm the one who planned every single thing just to spend some quality time with him?

"Sena, I told you, it's just work. Are you going to start again with your insecurities?" He snaps, frustration evident in his voice. His words hit me like a punch to the gut, and for a moment, I'm speechless. Why is he so quick to dismiss my feelings as insecurities? Is it too much to ask for a little undivided attention?

"Insecurities? I'm sitting here as if I'm begging for your attention while you're buried in your phone. You said you were free so why are you bringing work into our time together?" I say back, my frustration boiling inside of me. "It's not even the first time you've done this and I always brush it off, but it's starting to feel like a pattern."

"So what do you expect me to do? Leave my work to be because my damn girlfriend wants some attention? My job is to save people, Sena, you'll never understand how hard and demanding it can be-"

"Because I have it easy? Because I'm just an influencer who sits in front of a camera all day?" I scoff, but deep down, his words wound me. It feels like knives are being twisted into my heart because my own boyfriend is dismissing my feelings and belittling my career in front of my fucking face. "You think I don't understand hard work? You think my job is just about looking pretty and posting on social media?"

"What else do you even do? Your family is rich and you're born with a golden spoon in your mouth. You don't know what it's like to struggle or to work for something." He retorts, his tone harsh and cutting. Ujin is the last person who should say this. No, he shouldn't even think of it because he clearly knows I don't sleep for nights and nights just to bring the best content to my followers.  "I'm stressed out, Sena, stop making everything about you and your damn career!"

The resentment in his tone cuts me to the core. Is that what he truly thinks? That I'm making everything about myself? That my career is nothing more than a selfish pursuit of attention? Gosh, just how blind I've been to ignore the fact that he's a narcissistic asshole? Just how much have I sacrificed for this relationship, only to be met with contempt and disdain? I feel a lump form in my throat and all the love I've had for him darkens into anger and betrayal.

Tears threaten to spill over, but I refuse to let them fall. I won't give him the satisfaction of seeing me break down, not now, not ever. "You know what, Ujin? Maybe you're right. Maybe I do make everything about me and my damn career. But you know what else? I'm not going to apologize for what I do because I love it and you don't fucking get to belittle that. I've worked hard, sacrificed sleep, and poured my heart into my work. You're not going to make me feel guilty for doing the shit I love."

His attempt at an apology rings hollow in my ears. The pain of his words lingers, and I can't shake the feeling that this isn't just about stress or a tough week at the hospital. He's an asshole and he can't undo the wounds he just inflicted. Two years of love gone in two minutes of harsh words. It's like a punch to the gut.

"You're ruining everything, Sena. Just know that if we end up breaking up, it's your fault for letting your insecurities and career obsession come between us. You always do this and I always let you but this time, you'll have to fix this shit and I'm not going to be the one to apologize," Ujin's voice is sharp, his eyes flashing with anger. "I'm gonna leave you alone for a while to think about it, but we have an event the next weekend and you're not going anywhere. You're going to fix this mess, Sena. Don't ruin everything for us."

With that, he stands up and turns away, leaving me sitting there stunned and speechless. My lips are trembling and all I want to do is lock myself inside my room and cry but I can't break down now when there are so many people around us. So, I plaster on a fake smile and watch as he walks away, feeling the weight of his words crushing me from the inside out. I can't believe this is how it's ending, with him blaming me for everything that's gone wrong. I refuse to accept his version of events—I know I'm not perfect, but I've done everything I can to make this relationship work. Or did I?

As I sit there, numb and lost in thought, I'm already thinking of how I'm going to fix this mess. Of how I should apologize and what I should do to not ruin everything for us, as Ujin put it. I always fix messes, and I always smooth things over, don't I? It's what I do and I can't help but feel the familiar urge to do it again.

My hands tremble slightly and I tighten my fists on my lap. I should apologize, fix everything and make it all right again. And if not, I'm going to be reduced to nothing more than a spoiled rich girl who can't handle her own problems.