Chapter 5 - And They Were Roommates

I

Nathan really hated mornings. He was either up so early that it was still dark outside or laid in till he was the last one up. That Thursday was a bit of an oddity, Nate had woken up at the same time as the others that he shared his room with, which was a first.

Nate didn't know how to react. Should he stay in bed until the others had left? Should he get up and wander around until he was alone? He never liked getting dressed or undressed in front of strangers, it gave him a sense of vulnerability that he dreaded.

"Hey look who's awake." One of the other boys called out as he noticed Nathan's awake state. He was taller than him, with pale blond hair sleekly tied back into a half ponytail, he had a sharp angular face with a prominent Roman nose. But it was his cold pale blue eyes that stood out the most.

"It's too early for that Leo." Another teen piped in looking half awake with sleep-tussled black hair.

"Didn't mean you Ernie, I meant the new boy." There was the sound of clothes rustling and three pairs of eyes were on him. Nathan tentatively looked over at the others a lopsided smile on his lips.

"Morning," Nate muttered and the air in the room loosened up.

"Well, this is new." The final boy spoke. His short hair was spiked up and he was the only one that was nearly fully dressed. "What do we owe the privilege to you being awake at the same time as us plebians?" He mocked. Maybe Nate should have learned their names.

"Dunno, just woke up." Sleep was still heavy on his tongue as he sat up, the loud pops and cracks from his elbows and back filled the room as he stretched out.

"Nathan right?" Leo asked, at least he knew his name since the other black hair teen said it.

"Yeah, you can call me Nate though."

"Leo Malfoy," the blonde introduced himself, "that's Ernest Potter."

"Call me Ernie." The other black-haired boy piped up.

"And finally-" Leo was quickly cut off.

"Charles Hewitt, but my friends call me Charlie." The brunette quickly pulled his tie up, not bothering to turn around and address Nathan properly.

"Nice to make your acquaintance," Nathan spoke as he finally lifted his duvet off and placed his feet on the ground.

"We're about to head for breakfast, will you be joining us?" Leo asked as he pulled on his blazer.

"Thank you for the offer, I'll catch you up." For the first time, Leo's cold pale blue eyes caught Nathan's warm forest green eyes and a look of understanding passed over the blonde. Nathan quickly realising his error turned his head away and fluffed up his hair on his left side, quickly hiding his hideous scar.

"We'll save you a space." Ernie cheered as he dragged Charlie and Leo out of the room complaining about his stomach grumbling.

It took Nate barely any time to get himself dressed, face washed and hair looking somewhat acceptable. He was at the breakfast table sitting beside Leo munching on a chucky egg when something loud plopped down in front of him.

"Nate." He knew that voice and didn't even need to look up from his breakfast to react.

"Morning Seb, Morning Ominis." His roommates on the other hand had jumped at the other boy's loud random appearance.

"Didn't know you lot were friends?" Seb spoke making his accusation a question.

"They're my roommates," Nate explained.