Chapter 1 - Prologue

This is my first story ever, soooooo Enjoy!

~Nightime~
~Hilda P.o.v~

Anger.

That's all I can feel right now. As I run through the forest, all I feel is anger. Anger towards my friends, this town, and my mum. Anger because they won't listen. They WOULDN'T listen. I keep trying to tell them that they're wrong, that they're just doing more harm than help. But who would listen to a little girl? Adults know best anyways. They think that they know everything and what they do is the right thing.

But all they do is hurt others.

Trolberg. A big city with an even bigger wall. Now, I know what your thinking: why would a city need a wall? Well, it's because of what's outside of the walls. Trolls. Pretty ironic, right? A city called Trolberg trying to keep out trolls. Anyways, it wasn't always like this. There wasn't always walls to keep them out. Trolls used to be able to walk freely throughout the town, without harming anyone. But fear managed to get the best of the people of Trolberg, and they built the wall. Since then, the trolls have gotten more and more aggressive, attacking anyone who seems to pose a threat to them, or their children. And because of that, people have also decided to attack. And one thing led to another, a battle between man and beast started.

This went on for years, each side taking devastating losses. But they wouldn't stop. Anger kept the trolls attacking the humans, and fear kept the humans attacking the trolls. I didn't know any of this was happening, because I never lived in Trolberg.

I used to live in a cozy cottage in the middle of the forest with my mum. It was beautiful. The scenery was breathtaking, and the wildlife was amazing. The woffs were adorable, and the deer foxes were elegant and graceful. It was everything that I ever wanted in life. A nice place to live and enjoy the wildlife.

Sadly, life seemed to have other plans for me. Our house was destroyed when a giant stepped on it. I knew how the elves felt when I stepped on their houses that day, and it wasn't a nice feeling. Me, my mom, Twig and Alfur, my tiny elf companion, moved to Trolberg, where we could be safe inside the wall.

I didn't like it, and I didn't want to leave, but there was nothing we could do. Our house was destroyed, and we had nowhere else to go. So we moved to trolberg, and I thought that it was going to be the worst thing ever.

Only it wasn't. When we got to Trolberg, I managed to make some new friends! Frida and David were their names. We did everything together. We went on adventures, we cooked, we read, we did activities in school, we even joined the sparrow scouts!

We found so many amazing and beautiful things, and we even made more friends, like the great raven! And I thought that maybe living in Trolberg wouldn't be so bad after all.

I was wrong.

Despite being an amazing city with beautiful wildlife, all it did was harm it. It took away fields of flowers, took down trees so old they could tell stories, and infected streams with its filth.

They viewed wildlife as a resource, something they could use for themselves. All they did was take and they never gave back. They kept destroying it with no ounce of remorse. Maybe that's why the trolls are attacking us, why they resent us...

I tried to stop them, to show them that they were wrong. That there was nothing to fear. But they wouldn't listen. They kept going. Besides, who would listen to a child? I tried to show my friends that they could go out without needing to fear everything. But they also wouldn't listen. Fear clouded their judgment and the perception of life, and they wouldn't let go of it.

So I tried talking to the person that I knew would listen to whatever I had to say. My mum. I thought, 'if anyone would believe in me, it would be her!'.