Chapter 4 - Even More Unanswered Questions

~Timeskipe to Morning~
~David P.o.v~

The familiar sensation of the sun on my face woke me up again. This time, I remembered to look away before openening my eyes. I glance at my clock, noticing that I woke up earlier than usual. I sigh and lie on my back for a minute.

As I look towards the blank ceiling, I'm internally debating on whether or not I go back to sleep, or I prepare for the day early. After some back and forth, I decided to just get up and get ready. But as I try to sit up, I feel a weight on my stomach.

I look down and spot a ball of white fur curled up on my stomach. I smile, remembering that I asked Twig if he wanted to spend the night.

I carefully move the deerfox to the side so I don't wake him up, and I get out of bed to prepare for the day. I put on a white long sleeved shirt and some beige pants, just to get comfortable for the time being. I then walk into the kitchen and prepare a bowl of cereal.

As I prepare to bit into my first spoon, my phone buzzes with a notification. I take it out and read what caused the buzz.

"Trolburg field trip today 12:30"

'Oh crud, I forgot that was today!' I internally screamed at myself. As I read the message again, the memories start resurfacing. Of when Frida, Hilda, and I would go on adventures, finding new places, and getting into new trouble.

I push the memories back since I don't want to start off my day feeling gloomy. I quickly finish up my cereal and start putting on my uniform. When I go to grab my bag, I hear a yip and a second later a thump.

I head to my room and open the door to find Twig on the floor on his back. He looks at me as if he had no idea what just happened, his tail wagging.

I chuckle and ask him, "So, Twig. Today is a special day since I'm going on a little field trip with some students outside the wall." He suddenly gets on his feet and looks at me with wide eyes full of surprise since I've barely left the wall at all since Hilda disappeared.

I scratched the back of my neck before asking, "I was wondering if you possibly wanted to come with us?" If it was even possible, his eyes got even wider but with happiness. He yips and runs around the room, knocking over a few things, and I chuckle at his zoomies.

"Alright then, let's get going. We have to get to the school before it starts." Twig runs ahead of me to the front door. I giggle and unlock the door. As we step out, I hear someone call out to me.

"Oh, hello David!" I turn my head and smile to see that it's Mrs. Claire. "Well, good morning, Mrs. Claire. How are you doing?" "Oh I'm doing fine, dearie." She responds. "But enough about me. How are you doing? Do you have any plans for today?" I smile at her. "Oh, I'm going with a group of sparrow scouts outside of the wall." She gasps, but in happiness. "Oh, that's lovely, dear! It's nice to know that you're stepping outside again!" I smile sadly at what she said, thinking,'yeah, it's been a long time since I've stepped outside these walls.' I shake the thought out of my head before locking my door.

"Well, Mrs. Claire, it's been nice chatting, but I have to get going. Don't want to be late!" She nods. "But of course dearie, you be on your way now. Have fun!

"I will. Bye!" Me and Twig run down the stairs after saying our farewell. We exit out the door of the building and start our journey to the Sparrow Scouts.

"Well, Twig, let's hope that this field trio goes smoothly." Twig yips, although I don't know if it's supposed to be a yes or something.

As we walk, we pass by a few buildings. Some familiar, some not. After some more walking, Twig and I ended up going past the supermarket, and as I'm walking, I didn't look where I was going and accidentally bumped into someone, making them drop their groceries. "Oh, I'm so sorry! Here, let me help." I bend down to pick up an apple, and as I look up to see who I bumped into, my eyes widen.