A Touch of Mercy

My perception of time has been awful. Fortunately, I believe I'm finally dragging myself out of that dark hole.

It's been a while, huh?

Word Count: 6505

A touch of Mercy

"I hope you never find her," the dark-haired woman breathed, her voice which, until then, had been monotonous, retained just a touch of wish that had only then reemerged within her.

Though, At first, she was surprised at her own words, at the boldness that had made them escape, but as she recognized the valor, she didn't bite them down.

The very will festered in her and came out uncontained as she finally looked up to the man.

Her body was even shaking with the raw emotion she felt, and she hardly did anything to hide it.

The feeling felt foreign by then, after living so long without the ray of light. Yet, she accepted the new glimmer, wanting to believe that such a feeling existed only because it was meant to be.

Without a step missed the other woman would be on her way to escape the evil clutches of the man before her, and by extension their tyrant emperor.

-That's what her heart told her.

She didn't know if Shao Kahn had anything to do with Erron Black's job at that moment, but she could only imagine.

-Nothing good ever came from that man.

"I pray upon the elder gods that she escapes you, " she then added, the tremor in her body fierce as she referenced the very beings she'd long thought had abandoned her.

'I will pray for her flight,' she thought with true faith moving her beating heart, the blood in her veins rushing and burning hot with anticipation as she declared her newfound dedication.

He made a low sound, something to let her know that he acknowledged her, but dismissed her all the same.

She was certain his intention was to mock her, yet, from the way he turned from her and had eyed her even before then, she could note the irritation he swallowed down.

it was evident by the way his lips pursed that her words bothered him to some degree.

He couldn't hide his annoyance, and she was pleased to know that she'd made his arrogant smirk languish until it died out and fell into a bitter scowl.

It was a victory, albeit a small one, but one she rejoiced nonetheless.

" - We'll be back soon," he said lowly, all with a certainty of his own, the sureness in his tone making her lips press together thinly.

Her breath even stilled for just a moment, because there was a gleam in his eyes that unsettled her.

Excitement swam in the dark pools, challenge too, and the woman could only hope he could never reach his prey.

She could only hope he'd return with bitter defeat.

Silently, she watched as he left, trailing behind the young woman with the pretty, starry eyes.

- That same one that had made her feel inexplicably warm upon first glance, and had for whatever reason inspired something so abundantly strange.

Something in her chest had blossomed upon that moment, something that made her want to have faith again, to smile yet again.