𝐳𝐞𝐫𝐨. sun-kissed

2020

Annalise's whole body was sore from the night before. Tear stains and runny mascara residue littered her face, as she had cried herself to sleep that night.

Maya on the other hand looked good, her curls were still locked in place, her lips were painted a slight hue of mauve, and she had a soft pink dress on.

"Anna?" Maya called out as she entered her best friend's room. It was a mess, something so unusual for Annalise who took pride in her perfectionism.

"I'm not here." She buried her head under her pillow, wanting everything and everyone to disappear.

"You're lying."

"Yea I'm lying." She nodded underneath the pillow.

"Do you want to tell me what's wrong?" Maya took a seat on her bed, placing a gentle hand on her back.

"I thought he was the one."

"Anna. I know how you're feeling, but I promise you it will get better. We're only sixteen."

"That's what everyone seems to say."

"You know I wouldn't lie to you." She took the pillow off her best friend's head, and sat her up beside her.

"He's just such a dick!" Annalise screamed.

"Yea, he is. Forget about him he's just an asshole."

"How am I supposed to forget about him when I've been tagged in his post thousands of times?" She reached for her phone.

"Yea nope." Maya grabbed it from her hand. "We are not looking at this. It's stupid."

"Please."

"Nope. We should go to the beach to get your mind off of everything." Maya suggested, her usually enchanting aura not working this time.

"No, please no."

"Come on. I won't drag you, but it would be good for you!"

"Okay, fine." She reluctantly agreed. "Give me like fifteen minutes."

✩☽✩

Fifteen minutes passed in no time. Annalise's makeup wasn't runny anymore, she had her swimsuit on underneath a sun dress, her hair was tied up in a ponytail and she had let Maya borrow a swimsuit of her own.

That's what the two girls did. They shared everything with each other. Including the pain Annalise was bottling up.

Maya felt it, she saw how Anna had changed just because of her stupid ex, that posted a post on instagram belittling and attacking her, when he was the one that cheated on her.

And his followers, and people that didn't even know the full story hated on her. They took his side of the story and even twisted hers.

Maya would do anything in her power to take away her friend's heartbreak. A beach day, or more so a beach sunset as Anna slept the day away, was just the half of what she was willing to do for her friend.

"There's no one here." Annalise said when they made it to the small private beach by her house.

"Just us. It's more fun that way, come on." Maya kicked her shoes off and started running to the water, just throwing off her dress and her stuff to the side as she rushed in it.

"Wait up!" Anna called out, a few feet behind her as she tried to keep up.

They both laughed, feeling the cool water on their skin.

"See this is what we should be doing instead!" Maya called out amongst the loud sounds of crashing blue waves, and screeching seagulls.

"I can't believe I let him get to me. Cause I completely feel better now."

"It's okay if you don't." Maya saw the way she looked, as if there was a slight uncertainty to her voice.

"I think I do. I mean the sun, the water, you. You always know how to make me happy again." Anna smiled.

"You would do the same for me, and you have. So many times."

"So many times. Boys really are bullshit."

"Maybe we should take a break from relationships." Maya suggested on a whim.

"Yea right, like we could do that." Anna splashed her, cupping her hands and hitting them against the water as hard as she could.

"Hey!" She laughed as the splash hit her face.

"It's definitely an idea."

"Well, we have eachother and maybe that's all we need for now." Maya said as she fixed her hair.

"You know. Maybe you're right." She took a second to think about it. Time after time the two girls have been left heartbroken, but they've always been there for each other. It's always been the two of them against everyone and everything.

"I'm always right."

"Sure, whatever you want to say."

"We should take a picture to commemorate this moment. I brought my Polaroid." Maya ran out of the water to fetch her camera, bringing it back over to where they once were.

"Smile, this is going on instagram." Anna looked at her friend who usually made silly faces for pictures.

Maya snapped the picture, and started to shake it
"This is going down in history."

"What as? Two heartbroken girls that can trust no one but each other?" Anna laughed, a laugh with sad undertones.

"Yea that, and the day we swore to be single."

"Oh this is just sad."

"At least you'll get a tan."

"Yea come on. I have to make sure this picture looks good before we post it."

𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐚.𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐝𝐞𝐧 ✔︎

liked by charliebushnell and 113,978 others annamadden sun-kissedview all 384 comment

annamadden sun-kissed
view all 384 comment

mayalaurier my favorite beach date 🫶
mckennasgraceful pretty girls 💕