21. Ties That Bind

Late nights were becoming more common these days, which meant I was trading in nights with Eli for nights with Dezmon. It wouldn't be half as complicated if I could just come clean, and if I wasn't enjoying the familiarity of it.

I was so used to working alone that I hadn't realized how much more efficient it could be to have someone to bounce ideas off of and share responsibility with. Especially if that person was as competent as you were.

"Why aren't you in a rush to go home?" Dezmon asked suddenly.

I paused from reading the paperwork I was currently focused on from the shock of my own confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"You could bring all this home, but you don't. Why?" His eyes watched me intently as he waited for my response. 

 Once again, the force of his attention rocked me to my core. The hazel color somehow narrowed his linear focus, and I understood how he was able to dominate boardrooms and courtrooms alike.

Ugh, why did he have to have such a gorgeous face?

"I don't see you rushing to get home either." I quipped instead, hoping to avoid the question altogether.

It was clearly an opening into territory I wasn't sure I should be getting into. I knew a subtle probe when I saw one, and Dezmon was clearly trying to get a feel for my relationship status and life outside of work.

He was trying to bridge the gap between coworker to ex, and I had safely put him in the coworker category to avoid anymore guilt.

"Divine, we both know I could stay here all night if need be. So, let's not play games. I know you, so just be real with me."

His sternness and relentless drive contrasted greatly with Eli's easygoing nature. Dezmon was the type that wouldn't leave without an answer, and Eli was one that made you want to share all your secrets and he hadn't even asked.

"What do you want me to say, Dezmon? That there isn't anyone there when I get home?"

It was harder to admit that my house was empty than usual. Before, it would've been a fact that Dezmon and I could relate on, but now, it felt wrong to say.

Some time along the way, I had started imagining takeout waiting for me on the counter, and a large body to melt into on the couch. Attentive hands rubbing tension out of my muscles, and a ridiculous smile that would tell silly jokes that would make me burst into laughter.

"Yes. It's been driving me insane that someone might be sleeping on the side of the bed that I used to."

His words made my mind shift sharply from one fantasy to another. Life was simple when Dezmon and I had been together. Neither of us ever asked for more than the other could give, and resolute understanding flowed easily in our romance.

He'd been raised by a single mother, and his law degree had given him all the tools to raise her out of poverty. Everything Dezmon had he had to pull right from the sky to achieve, and I knew how that felt more than anyone.

There was always a feeling like the world could be pulled right from under you if you made the wrong move or relaxed too much.

"Well, you're the one that left."

"Did you want me to stay?"

Before I could confirm or deny, my phone rang loudly into the open, still space. 

I'd put it on Do Not Disturb earlier, so whoever was calling had probably already tried to reach me.

"Hello?" I answered, holding up a finger to Dezmon.

"Divy?" My youngest nephew, Lennox asked.

He was one of my sister's kids, but they still lived with my parents.

"Hey, Lenn. Where's your mom?"

"Mommy said I shouldn't call you, but they always say we're supposed to call if something's wrong, and PopPop—"

"What's wrong with PopPop?" I interrupted, dread starting to accumulate in my throat. 

Dezmon's brows furrowed, and he mouthed questions at me that I couldn't focus on. What could've happened to my dad? How serious was it? Why hadn't they called me?

Memories of a phone call from my brother flashed in my mind. It was the call Eli had asked me to ignore, but what if something had been wrong then? Had I unknowingly chosen a few hours with him over my family?

"Well,—"

"Lennox, what did Mommy say about taking my phone and calling people without my permission?" My sister, Nia, softly scolded my nephew.

"I was just talking to Aunt Divy." Lennox grumbled, clearly put-out by being caught.

"Divine?" Nia asked in surprise.

"Nia, what's wrong with Dad?"

"Listen, D, I wanted to tell you, but everyone said it would only worry you more." She started, guilt coloring her words.

"Is there a reason to worry?"

A heavy sigh sounded, and even without seeing her I knew she was nodding.

"Dad has to go on dialysis, and they're worried he might have to quit his job."

Things weren't necessarily tight with my family's finances, but every stream of income counted. If my dad stopped working, I would have to work more than just a couple late nights to make up for it.

"Dialysis?" I whispered, horror finally starting to register.

I couldn't imagine the same man that had bandaged every bump and bruise and wiped every tear being sick enough that he couldn't work. He had always taken his role as primary breadwinner as a big deal, and it had pained him to even start taking money from me in the first place.

But pride wouldn't put food on the table for his kids and grandkids. Pride didn't pay any bills. 

"He's been hiding his kidney failure from everybody, but nothing's been working. It wasn't until he collapsed that he finally told us, and he still won't let some of us get tested for a transplant."

"Why the hell not? I'm coming home." I moved to grab my things to shove them in my bag, completely disregarding Dezmon's attempt to calm me.

"This is exactly why he told us not to say anything. We can't afford both of you guys being out of work if you're a match, and over half of the people in the house are in school or working."

At her words, the fight drained from my body and left behind helplessness and worry in its wake. I knew she was right but that didn't make me feel any better. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi, dearest readers! I'd say we're past the halfway mark, which is always bittersweet for me ; (

But, I have started writing Olivia's story, and the first chapter is now available on  the first tier of my Patreon ( patreon.com/vationwrites ). Though, I have been considering moving to Kindle since a couple extra dollars could really help as a graduate student. 

Either way, Divine and Olivia's story should hit Wattpad first if I do choose to go that route. Thanks for the continued support!