Chapter 1: City of Order

Inkopolis Square has been bleached out all white. And not a single citizen of the city could be seen.

"Heeey!" A female voice called out. "Heeey! HELLOOOOOOOOO?! Up and at 'em, Eight! Yo, Eight! You awake or what?!"

"Oww. My head!" Agent 8 said, feeling like she got a headache before standing up. "What the- Where am I?"

Agent 8 seemed to look alright. But she was in a white outfit, and the color in her octoling tentacle hair and eyes seemed to be drained.

"Nice. If you hadn't come around, I didn't have a plan B!" A drone said, flying up close to Eight. "What's up? I got something on my face? Oh, right! You wouldn't recognize me like this."

"Yeah. Exactly. Who even are you?" Agent 8 said, a bit tensed up if this drone was an enemy.

"I'm Pearl! You know, your bestie!" She said.

"Wait, Pearl?! What happened to you?" Agent 8 said, worried about Pearl's appearance as a drone.

"Not sure how I got this way, but here I am." Pearl replied.

"If you're here, then where's Marina?" Agent 8 asked.

"Not sure where Marina is either. She's supposed to be with me." Pearl responded.

"Ugh. My head is still spinning." Agent 8 said, feeling her headache come back.

"It's cool. You just woke up. Might take some time for your head to clear." Pearl said. "You got any idea where we should go from here? Marina's usually around to help me with that."

"So would Shadow. But we don't know where we are, and our communicators are probably too far out of range." Agent 8 said.

It was then a burst of energy appeared near the two of them. Shadow, Rouge, and Omega have appeared. Yet, somehow... their colors weren't drained.

"Ugh! My head. What the hell happened?" Shadow said, placing a hand to his head.

"Last I remember, we were surrounded by some digital aura. And we ended up here." Rouge said.

"According to my scanner. We seem to be transported to a color drained version of Inkopolis Square." Omega said, running a full scan in the area they were in.

"Shadow? Is that you?" Agent 8 said, recognizing him.

Shadow turned to see Eight and drone Pearl were here.

"Eight!" Shadow said, rushing over to her.

The two octolings hugged each other in relief.

"You're okay!" Agent 8 said.

"Of course, I'm okay. I thought you were dead." Shadow said.

"Dead? What are you talking about?" Agent 8 said.

"We thought Mephiles had killed you, Off the Hook, and a bunch of other citizens in the Square." Shadow said.

"Mephiles? But I thought he was destroyed." Agent 8 said.

"He was. But now he's back." Shadow said.

"What?!" Agent 8 said, in shock.

"I know. It's a shock. The others and I are worried he's planning something big." Shadow said. "We haven't seen him ever since our last encounter on Mobius."

"Huh. Even if Mephiles is back, we haven't seen him either." Agent 8 said.

"At least it's good to know you're safe." Shadow said.

"Now, we just got to find our way out of this place." Rouge said.

"Shadow, who are those guys?" Agent 8 asked.