Chapter 4: Eyeliner

My mother wasn't lying when she said the house would be empty. I'd rushed in, shoved all of the boxes into the hallway, and rifled through everything I owned for the most important belongings. Darren was kind enough to let me store my less valuable things in his storage unit until I could come back for them.

For now, I had clothes, electronics, documents, and anything sentimental. I had already gotten on the road after tearful goodbyes with my siblings. I felt oddly empty when I left, like I was forgetting something. I wanted to see my mom, but I knew it wasn't a good idea after what happened.

As I drive through the various towns on my way to Chicago, I sing along to Dan's covers of songs I love. I have to keep the energy up somehow, and upbeat music combined with coffee is a recipe for energetic success.

After the two-hour drive, I pull into the parking lot of the hotel that Dan had given me the address for, then grab my belongings and walk inside. Immediately, I feel underdressed as the elegant white walls greet me. An expensive-looking crystal chandelier hangs from the ceiling, and I shake my head at the lobby. An electric fireplace surrounded by luxurious armchairs and sofas, sleek coffee tables, and a gorgeous fluffy carpet that I consider stealing for my new place when I have one.

"Hi, did you have a reservation?" The voice of the front desk worker brings me out of my klepto fantasy.

I turn to her with a smile. "No, I might be in the wrong place, actually. I'm meeting some friends and they gave me this address, but they might just be messing with me."

"I can check the system for you if you'd like," she says, beaming at me. "What's the name?"

"Rosalie Jacobs," I say, and she types my name into the computer, "but I really don't think there's anything under my name. I was gonna try for a walk-in when I got here."

"You're in room 317," she tells me, passing me two keycards. I take them, too stunned to respond. "The room is paid for already, and you've got it til tomorrow. Checkout is tomorrow at 11, breakfast starts at 6, and the indoor pool and exercise room are on this floor down that hallway." 

She points to a hall on the other side of the desk. I blink at her and grip the keycards tightly. "Wow, thank you!" is all I can manage to say.

"My pleasure, enjoy your stay! If you need anything, dial 0 for the front desk."

I thank her again and head back out to my car, calling Dan as I unlock my car and reach into the back.

"Hey, Rosalie," he greets me, his voice chipper as ever.

"Are you pranking me?" I ask.

"What?"

"I just checked into the hotel and I think there's a mistake. I didn't reserve a room."

"Oh, yeah, no, Arin booked it for you. I'm in 303, you should come to say hi once you get settled!"

"Why?"

Dan snorts. "Because I want to make sure you made it safely?"

"No, I mean why did he book me a room? I told you I had enough money for it." Of course, that was back when I thought this wasn't a bougie-ass mansion of a hotel but I don't mention that.

"He's a nice dude," Dan says, and I can practically hear the smirk in his voice. "Look, I wouldn't argue with Arin when it comes to acts of kindness. Just let it happen."

I sigh, grabbing my luggage and hauling it inside and into the elevator. "Alright, fuck. I just wasn't expecting it, and I'm really bad at accepting kindness from people. You've probably picked up on that by now."