33.

'Cause this is crazy love,
I'll catch you on the flip side
—Lana Del Rey/California

"So, you're friends with criminals."

It's almost a summary of my life. One that leads me to do what I do. And it's not a lie. I am tired of lying to him. So sick of it. Yet one thing he fails to highlight from those words alone is I am actually also a criminal.

"I told you I'm not good for you." It's not the first time I feel ashamed of myself. Disappointed by my past decisions. But him being here, it multiplies what I am already feeling. It becomes too real.

I regret what I did, but I have yet to find a solution to fix it.

I knew I had a choice to halt my plan. And I didn't choose it because I needed those people to stop breathing down my neck. And since they got what they wanted, they have been quiet. I only hope it will last forever. That they keep their word.

"And I said I don't care." He scoffs, probably regretting to take my warning lightly.

I look at him. His trust I betrayed. His face I lied to. I owe him everything.

"I'll pay it all back." I say. Determined, knowing well it won't fix anything.

His eyebrow raises at that. "So, you have 200 millions?"

"No. But I have gemstones that are worth—"

"Let me guess. They're stolen possessions." His words shut me up immediately. I kind of wince at the harshness of his tone. But I get it.

He has every right to me mad. To yell at my face even. He doesn't have to hear my explanation. Or to believe me after all the things I've put him through. Yet here he is.

I look away from him and proceed to stand. My bare feet step on wet paint, but I can't care less.

"I can't get your paintings back." I state. I am being honest. They are somewhere I can't reach. At unknown location, hidden away from the world. They will probably kill me if I dare to try.

I turn to him when I am on a safe distance. His face is hard to read, but those eyes show nothing but hatred. Just what I deserve.

"This house's worth forty million and the rare diamonds—"

"How long have you been doing it?" His question cuts off my offer. His voice still cold, void of emotions.

I hold his gaze, knowing well what he means. How long have I been deceiving people? "Long enough."

"Was it fun?" His jaw tightens. As though he's suffering to say it. As though he can't believe a girl like me pulling that foul scheme.

I pause, trapped in the depth of his eyes. They dare me to deny it, to lie again.

"Initially." I answer frankly, swallowing the hard lump in my throat. "In the end, it feels kinda pointless."

"It becomes boring." He corrects me, eye narrowing, judging me. "You never failed."

I laugh. "I'm failing now."

"Hardly." He murmurs. A beat of silence between us. "Who are these bad people?" His question makes me uneasy.

"It's better that you don't know." I say quietly.

He chuckles humorlessly. "You don't think I deserve to know?"

"They're dangerous and—"

"I can handle it." He states. The rage in his eyes is noticable. A lot of things he's capable of, a lot of things money can buy, but not this. This side doesn't belong in his world.