Chapter 31: Med Room Panic

Everything came slamming back, all thoughts and feelings. But it was the panic that came back the strongest, that and the pounding in my head. I shot straight up with a wild gasp. The person beside me yelped followed by a thud. In a split second I had a knife in my hands. My danger senses were on cranked up high. I saw Thomas, but my brain couldn't register it. 

"Whoa Jessie, calm down!" Thomas scrambled to his feet, hands out trying to calm me down.

"What's going on? Where's Minho? Ben? The other runners? Where am I?" I yelled as I scrambled out of the bed, but was still tangled in the blanket. 

"Calm down Jessie!" He yelled a little louder now.

"I'll calm the fuck down when my questions are answered!" I screamed, waving the knife around. My panic blocked everything else out, I had no concept of where I was or who was here. My chest felt heavy, and my stomach was still twisting. The pounding in my head didn't help. My vision was also in and out of focus. 

I heard wild footsteps coming closer. I felt trapped. I knew I couldn't get out the window, my blurred vision and shaking limbs would let me land properly. I had to fight my way out. The door slammed open. I now had two knives in my hand, and I was screaming. Well trying to, my chest was even more heavy, and my throat was tight. My hands shook and I could feel the bile rising. 

"What's going on? Where's Minho? Ben? The other runners? Where am I?" I screamed again. 

I vaguely was aware Thomas, Newt, Winston and Jeff were in front of me, but that didn't help calm my racing brain and heart. I needed Minho. And he wasn't here...did the Griever get him too? 

"Where is he? What's going on?" 

I waved the knives around, my wild dilated eyes darting around the room. The room was chaos. I heard screaming from a different room, and that grated on my nerves, it made my head hurt more, which didn't help the panic. The guys in front of me were all yelling at me to calm down, trying to get me to put the knives down. But I wouldn't. No one was answering my questions. I heard more wild footsteps. 

The door banged open and the only person I wanted to see came tearing into the room.

"Jessie?!" Minho yelled. 

His face was full of panic and worry and anger. He paused seeing me swinging the knives at the guys in front of me. My arm was still covered in blood, my eyes dilated in fear and panic, covered in sweat, dirt...

"Minho!" I screamed, a sob escaped the panic. 

He was safe. The Griever didn't get him too. I dropped the knives with a clatter and I shoved through the guys as Minho ran forwards. I crashed into him. My arms wrapped tightly around his neck, his arms tightened protectively around my back. The tears ran down my dirty face. He held me close, his one hand held the back of my head I buried my face into his neck. I felt his face in my hair. My body shook with silent sobs. 

This was the first time I was scared of a Griever. The first time I was terrified to lose someone, because I don't think I'd be able to keep going if he was gone. I was become very dependent on him. I needed him. My heart wanted him. I squeezed him tighter. 

"What the shuck happened?" 

"Griever." I chocked between sobs. 

"Shuck." 

"It got Ben. I tried! I tried Minho! But I wasn't fast enough, and it got him. I don't like him, but I tried! I really did!" 

"Shhh Jess, I know you did. It's not your fault." He soothed. He pulled away and his hand cupped the side of my face, his fingers buried in my hair, his thumb running back and forth by my ear. Now that I knew Minho was safe and my panic was easing, and I knew I was in the Med Room. The worry and panic blossomed into anger.