Chapter 69: Mutiny

I sat on a branch that was above the slammer. Only if you stood right at the entrance and looked directly up would you be able to see me. I watched Newt, Minho, and Winston walk over to the slammer where Chuck had been sitting, digging a hole in the earth with the knife I flung.

"Where'd ya get that knife mate?" Newt asked plus king down.

"Jessie."

"What?"

"Jessie. I got it from her."

"What...wait...what?"

"She's alive man."

"What?" He yelped, "you better bloody explain!"

"We're using this to our advantage, she's hiding right now in the Deadheads." Minho scolded.

"Yeah Newt. So shhh. Mums the word." I quietly called down.

Newt yelped and spun around trying to find me. Minho grabbed his arm and yanked him back down to the grass. Winston and Minho were chuckling. They were cut off when there was a groan and Chuck yelling.

"That was the stupidest thing you have ever done! Why would you do that?"

The gruff voice of Thomas floated up to my hiding spot.

"I needed to remember Chuck."

From my vantage point I couldn't really see, but I could distinguish between the different voices. So I settled back to listen. Thomas's voice again, "What happened?"

"Gally has control. He said we had a choice. Either join him... or get banished at sundown with you." Newt answered solemnly.

"And the others agreed to that?" Teresa gasped, though she didn't sound overly shocked.

"Gally is tryin' to convince everyone that you two and Jessie are the bloody reason all this has happened." Newt answered.

"Though most aren't really convinced, they're just too scared to stand up to him," Winston said. I saw his head tilt up with an eye roll.

"Well, he's been right so far." Thomas sighed heavily.

"What are you talking about?" Newt asked.

"This place...it's not what we thought it was. It's not a prison, it's a test. It all started when we were kids. They would give us these challenges." Thomas explained. "Well except Jessie. I only saw bits, she was with a different program... actually Tess you were too... But I think we only meet Jessie a few times. She was kept from the different Maze groups."

"I know this, idiot. Keep going." I called down with an eye roll.

Minho looked up and he finally saw me. His eyes danced with ammusment. I winked and he smirked.

"Well I saw her as they brought her into the hall where you guys were waiting...the first big group...she was escorted by three guards. She killed two before the third took her down with a tazer."

"That's my girl."

I smirked at this information.

"Total badass!" Chuck whispered in awe.

"Chuck! Launguage!"

"Ya..." Thomas went on. "They sent her up to the other maze alone...and a huge group into this maze and then people started disappearing. Every month, one after the other, like clockwork."

"They were sending them up into the maze." Newt concluded.

"Yes Newton we just established that. Everyone was being sent here." I grumbled.