First chapter: a new beginning

When Russia opened his eyes, he found that the people that at the start of the flight were sitting in his row were now gone. A flight attendant had woken him up, not that he was asleep, in fact he had simply zone out. It took a few instants for him to start making out the words that were being spoken to him. The last passengers of the plane were just now exiting and that nice lady was just making sure Russia would not stay on the plane for a return flight. 

The boy quickly took his luggage and backpack and, almost running, stepped out of the plane, onto the boarding sleeve. His feet made loud noises when touching the ground, the tumults created rumbled through the tunnel and were ampliated by the echo that is inevitably characteristic of that passage. 

Russia rushed to the baggage claim, absent-mindedly walking  across the John F. Kennedy International Airport. It was late evening and the structure was only illuminated by internal lights. Still, there were many people around, living their own lives and having their own problems. Some where saying goodbye to loved ones, others were rejoicing to meet again friends and family. 

Planes taking off could be noticed through the windows, although the sight was partially blocked by the reflections of the insides. Many thoughts were now flowing in the teen's head. Most, if not all, were fears. All he could see, although he was not watching, was the ground. Luckily people were more careful in trying not to bump into him. 

Oh, he knew that it would be hard to let go. But now that he was here he could not turn back. He abruptly stopped, raised his gaze, in front of him was written ''Welcome to New York''. He sighed, and in lowering his eyes he met his reflection on a nearby window, just to lock them again on the ground. 

He left the airport and took the first bus he saw that was going to Manhattan. In entering it, he swiftly took a window seat about in the middle of the vehicle. Several minutes later it set off for the city, just after it had filled in with passengers. 

Russia had never seen such a place. Tall and well-lit buildings everywhere. So many colors and so many people too. All the colorful billboards gave the city a lively look. His eyes widened seeing each skyscraper and he passed the whole ride looking mesmerized out of the window. 

He did not know how much time it had passed when the bus finally arrived at his destination. But when it did, Russia again started feeling all the worries. Indeed, just moments before he was too stunned by the city's exotic beauty to actually remember his situation.

Hurriedly he got off the machine and bolted out of the bus station, into the street. There, almost as if in a fever, he took out his phone, which he had completely forgotten about and still was turned off, and opened yet again his notes. There he had saved the location of his apartment, he had before, when waiting for his plane, learned the address by heart, but now it seemed to have slipped his mind. When he had made sure of where he had to go, he rapidly set off. 

It did not take long for him to arrive at his flat. It was on the fifth floor of the building. From the outside the complexion looked old and quite dirty. The elevator too seemed worn out, but Russia could not go for the stairs since he was carrying all his things with him. Besides, he was used to antiquated lifts. 

Upon standing in front of his door he felt a wave of almost calm go through his body. He found the key under the entrance carpet, exactly where he was told it would be. So he unlocked the door and opened it in a slow fashion. 

He took a first look at the apartment. A little corridor followed the entrance, on both sides there was a door. Walking down the small hall he arrived in the living room, which also was the kitchen and dining room. All furniture was there. Russia put down his backpack on the floor, and left there also his luggage. He made for the two doors in the corridor, noticing he had left the entrance door opened he hastily shut it, for then opening the side ones. In the first he found the bathroom, it was mostly a classic white; in the second he found the bedroom, it was furnished with a twin size bed, a bed-side table and a wardrobe. No window in those rooms, in fact there only was one in the lounge.