Chapter 22 | Ryn

As we dropped down the mountain, we dropped back into the shade. The sun was too low on the horizon to reach the west side of the summit.

My body screamed at me, and I worked on walking in the diagonal strides Solan had taught me to keep a stable footing in the steep areas while alleviating strain on my knees. Walking downhill was just as miserable as walking uphill; it was just a different type of misery. I was grateful for the slow paces Solan had set.

"What's up, losers." Arthur greeted from behind closed eyes. He lay sprawled out on the ground with his boots off, resting.

I narrowed my eyes at him, even though he couldn't see me, and dropped my pack.

Aldric sat beside him, eating.

"No flag?" Aldric asked gently, extending food towards me.

"Well, no. But I did find my point. It got washed away in that landslide." I explained, finding energy as adrenaline poked in my veins at the memory.

Aldric's eyes widened. "Is THAT what that noise was?" He asked in disbelief.

Solan nodded. "It was wild." He added in a murmur while declining the food Aldric had offered.

"Excuses, Ryn," Arthur said in a playfully dismissive tone, rising to his bare feet. "No one likes them." He added, snapping a wet sock at my face.

"You're so gross!" I complained, narrowly dodging the attack.

"You're so gross!" Arthur mocked me, bringing his voice to the highest octave he could muster and swinging out a hip in a girly fashion.

I slapped at his arm, but he grabbed my elbow and yanked me forward, forcing my face into his armpit. My ankle twinged, and I gagged at the stench.

Arthur released me, laughing in amusement.

"YOU ARE SO GROSS! I can TASTE that in my mouth now." I said, feeling irritated. Arthur laughed louder, clapping his hands together and jogging away from my open hand that flew towards him.

Solan snorted out in laughter.

I glared at him. "It's not funny." I snapped.

He threw his hands in surrender with a wide smile on his face.

"I don't want excuses on this next point," Arthur said, only half joking.

I rolled my eyes at him.

"No chance for excuses." Solan jumped in before I could respond. "Training is over."

My jaw slacked in disbelief. We never end training early, and we have three more points to look for; that's at least five hours and 12 miles of work. We aren't scheduled to be done until noon.

Arthur whooped, shoving his feet into fresh socks and back into his wet boots. Aldric stuffed his remaining food back into his ruck.

Solan grabbed my ruck from the ground, front-loading it onto his body.

"Grab Aldric's shit. We're going to jump back and get started on the paperwork."

"Whatever you need, boss," Arthur said enthusiastically, grabbing Aldric's gear. I marveled as they carried 100 pounds of equipment like it was nothing. 

Solan's eyes flit to my ankle in worry, then to my face.

Is that what this is all really about? I narrowed my eyes in agitation. I don't need him to coddle me.

Annoyance flit across Solan's face as I glared at him.

"Let's go!" Arthur said happily, shoving Solan towards the portal. "I'm ready to get this rest cycle started." 

Solan turned away from me and walked in lockstep with Arthur.

I shook my head at the pair before turning to Aldric, who was jamming tobacco leaves in his mouth.

As always, he extended the bag towards me in offering. I shook my head, and he folded it up.

"Exciting day today?" Aldric questioned, shoving his hands in his pockets while heading in the opposite direction of the portal, back towards the stables. It was a three-mile walk.

"Here, every day is exciting," I said honestly.

Aldric smiled knowingly, adjusting the tobacco in his mouth.

Things with Aldric are always so simple. He truly is kind, and I genuinely enjoy his presence.

"Yeah, I suppose it is." He said, filling his lungs with air.

We walked briefly about the highlights of this training iteration, then moved to a conversation about our plans for the rest cycle. Mine included, well, resting.

Aldric had plans with Matti. He spent a lot of time talking about her. Every word was full of love and affection, but as far as I was concerned, Matti was throwing red flags. I listened, not daring to speak about my concerns.

The conversation Arthur and Solan had the first time I went to 5 Alpha echoed in my mind. They had already voiced their concerns, and Aldric chose to stand by her. As Solan said, we stand by him.

Eventually, the stable came into view, and I sounded a singular low whistle, catching Verus's attention. He snorted happily, jerking his head up and down when I entered. I looped my arms around his neck, snuggling into him. Aldric shook his head, bewildered.

"It is beyond my comprehension how you broke him so quickly." He marveled, starting to tack his horse.

I shrugged happily, swinging onto him. The truth is, I haven't "broken" him. He is as wild as the day I first saw him; the only difference was our mutual trust and respect.

My ankle throbbed in my boot, and I was eager to get home and take it off. We rode the ten miles back, tethered to Solan and Athur's horses. The journey took less than two hours, and in just as much time, I got our horses stabled, cleaned my gear, washed my clothes, iced my swelling ankle, showered, ate, and cozied up in bed. After being out in the storm all night, it was the most glorious feeling.

I cradled a cup of hot water and ginger. My body felt like 1,000 pounds, and my head pounded. Decent sleep and hydration will fix this.

******

A/N: You guys have NO IDEA for how excited I am for the next couple chapters. This is where the dominos start to fall.