Meeting the Earl Phantomhive and His Butler

(This is what Evelyn looks like

(This is what Evelyn looks like.)
My name is Evelyn Cavallero. My father was Spanish and my mother was British, but they passed away when I was 7 years old from tuberculosis. I have lived on the streets until I turned 10 when I was found and forced to work for a baron who never valued anyone or anything but his position in society. The maids that I worked with were also of Spanish descent and one of them was able to read both English and Spanish. Her name was Maria and despite my being half-British, she never treated me as lesser than. She was like a mother to me and was the only person that kept me sane while working for the family. She even taught me how to read and write. Until one day, when I turned 12, both her and me were accused of stealing food. This is where the story officially begins.

-Outside Baron Cane's House-

"Now, ladies, I'm being more than fair. Just tell me that you stole the food and I'll grant you two mercy," Baron Cane told us.

I was beyond irritated. Not only was he accusing me of something I didn't do, but he is also accusing Maria as well. Normally I would stay silent whenever this happens, but now that he involved Maria, I couldn't hold my tongue, "What do you know about mercy?"

"Querida!" Maria whispered fiercely, but I was not stopping.

"You just want someone to blame for your own faults. We barely have crumbs to eat, yet you, your wife and your children have no issue with starvation. The only reason that the pantry ended up empty is due to your sleepwalking," I explained.

The Baron's face was red with anger, "How dare you!"

"Surely, you noticed it yourself. Every time you arrive at breakfast, you're never hungry, but by the time you arrive for lunch, you're starving. You never remember this, but we all see you," I replied.

"Insolent girl!" Baron Cane yelled.

He moved closer to me ready to slap me, but a white gloved hand caught his wrist. I looked to see a tall, pale man with black hair and red eyes. I could see immediately that he was not human. Next to him was a boy with black hair and one blue eye. His right eye was covered by a black eyepatch. I could tell he was from nobility due to his clothing. The tall man said, "Now, that is no way to treat ladies, Baron Cane."

The Baron looked annoyed, "What business do you have here, Lord Phantomhive?"

I was surprised. This is the Earl Phantomhive? I could've sworn that the family perished in the fire last year. Lord Phantomhive smiled, "I came to call on you yesterday, but it seems you have been busy."

He walked in front of me. I could tell that he was at least my age or a year younger. He asked, "What is your name, miss?"

"Evelyn Cavallero, my lord," I answered. He has an air of maturity about him, but given what he has gone through, it's not surprising.

"Oh, Spanish lineage?" Lord Phantomhive asked.

"My father was Spanish, but my mother was British," I replied.