Prologue: A Night of Sorrow

1934

Germany

It was a cold, rainy night on the streets of Berlin. Every individual and family were inside their homes to shelter themselves from the numbing raindrops coming from the teary skies above, except a figure walking on the sidewalk, leaning on the wall to support herself.

A mix of rain and blood was flowing through her short bluish hair which poured towards her heavily wounded left eye and her right arm, which was nowhere intact on her body. Despite all of that, she felt no pain.

She felt nothing but numbness.

Only the cold breeze of the drizzling eventide.

Without any notice, a soldier patrolling on the side of the street passed by and found the figure, which had distinguishable ears on her head that identified her as a beastkin. Perceiving the blood mixing on a puddle, he rushed towards her and assessed her injuries.

"Geht es ihnen gut, Madam? Können Sie mich verstehen?"

With fear and concern for her, the soldier tried to communicate with her but those words were incoherent to her and didn't even sound like her native language, giving her a hint that she was in a different country.

She was about to speak but no words came out of her mouth. Her voice was lost into the void. Regardless, it wasn't surprising to her. In fact, it was the cost of her sins she committed. And with the soldier in front of her waiting for a response, she could only reply with a cold gaze.

Realizing he was talking to a mute person, he didn't ask anything, then took out his belt and a bandage inside his uniform's pocket in an instant. With the bandage, he stuffed her left eye and patched her right arm with the belt, tightening it to prevent excessive blood loss. Even though his leader declared how mixed race should be eradicated, he had told them that beastkins must be befriended for they would help them dominate the world.

"Alles wird gut! Kommen Sie, Madam. Ich helfe Ihnen."

Despite the language barrier, the beastkin had an idea on what he was saying based on his actions. Seeing the gesture the soldier was doing, she let herself be carried in a piggy back ride.

Gust of wind breeze past onto her face while they were rushing on the wet road lit by street lamps. The soldier took a couple of glimpses towards the cold and quiet beastkin, not knowing what to say to her. It was his first time seeing a creature like her in person, and he felt his heart racing like a Mercedes-Benz 770 traveling at its top speed.

Within a minute, they reached a medical tent guarded by fellow soldiers. Seeing a wounded woman behind the trooper's back, they prepared a bed and equipment to properly treat her injuries. Along the way, the beastkin found the medic team astonished upon seeing the likes of her in their camp.

Knowing that she was nowhere near her home, the beastkin attempted to use a chantless magic. It took her several tries and with her eyesight dimming from the overconsumption of her energy, she finally made it work. With her lone eye and ears focused on them, the words they mumbled with each other were translated into Japanese. She could hear people praising the soldier who helped her, albeit the movement of their lips weren't matching up the words they were blabbering.

After stitching up her wounds and putting on an eyepatch on her damaged eye, people fled the scene to give her time to heal completely with the exception of the soldier. He was sitting the whole time watching her and at the end of her surgery, he stood and took a piece of paper and a fountain pen from the drawer beside him. He then reached it out to her and asked.

"Can you tell me your name, Miss?"

The beastkin had a moment staring into the paper he was handing over. He noticed it and decided not to bother her since he might be discomforting her with his presence. However, before he could step away, the girl grasped his arm. Turning his head, he took a glimpse of the beastkin still wearing her cold gaze. Albeit he had a hint that she was interested in introducing herself from how she took the paper and pen.

After heaving a sigh, the beastkin took her time realizing how to start with the introduction. All she needed was a name.

A new name to start her new life. A name that didn't go through sorrowful tragedies.

With her writing hand missing, she held the pen on her left arm and tried to write as intelligibly as possible. After that, she returned the paper and pen to the soldier, who was eagerly waiting for her response.

At first, he was skeptical if it was her real name with the word written on the paper since there's no such name like that in Germany and it sounded Oriental. But he had some hopes that this beast girl would bring change in their world in any way, so he shrugged the doubts on his head.

And with that, he greeted the beastkin with a cheerful smile, figuring out how to pronounce the name of an interesting, yet peculiar girl he found in his life.

"Nice to meet you..."

"Shachou."