4: Hope & Joy

"So how's the dress coming? You finished it?" Alya questioned as she spread mayo on her sub.

"Not yet. I still have to attach the pieces and make the bow for the back." Marinette took a sip of her water.

"I still can't believe you cut up your new curtains just to make a dress." Alya chuckled.

"Well, you wanted me to make two dresses, so I'm making two."

"I just think it's awesome. You're so resourceful."

Marinette smiled at the compliment and took a bite of her salad. It wasn't much but she couldn't stomach any more from the excitement of the upcoming evening.

"I just have to get home as soon as school is over to have it done in time to take photos. Who's doing them again?"

"Nino is. He's borrowing my mom's camera. Wait, you can't stay even for a little bit after school?"

"Not if you want my dress finished." Marinette knew what was coming. She poked at her salad with her fork.

"Well..." Alya pursed her lips. "I thought you were going to ask a certain someone to the dance." She braced for impact.

Marinette's face turned red then she sighed. "N-no. I have to get home and finish this dress. I tried to stay up last night but I fell asleep at my sewing machine."

"Girl! Isn't that dangerous?! You could lose your hair!" She was pretty loud. So much so that Marinette dropped her head in embarrassment.

"I'm fine. It wasn't even plugged in. Come to think of it I don't remember even going to bed last night."

Alya sighed and then took a sip of her soda. "I guess you can go home after school. You can make it up to me at the dance."

Marinette rolled her eyes, knowing Alya would come up with a plan to get her to ask Adrien to dance with her that evening. Of course, she wanted to dance with him. Everyone wanted to dance with him. So Marinette held her feelings in reserve to not be too upset when she didn't get the chance to dance with Adrien.

The girls continued their lunchtime rituals of nibbling and talking. Marinette would show Alya a photo of the dress she was making. Alya would plan for what poses they'd do for the photos. All in anticipation for the evening to come.

Marinette rushed out of the classroom at the chime of the school bell. Alya followed as best she could.

"Mari!" Alya called trying her best to keep up with her.

Marinette stopped at the bottom of the school stairs for her friend. Alya finally caught up and tried to catch her breath.

"Aren't you going to ask a certain someone something?" She wheezed.

"This again? I thought that-"

"That I'd let you get out of it? No way."

Marinette frowned. She didn't have time for this if she was going to have a dress for the dance.

Valentine's Day was the most emotional day for Paris, and Marinette was certain that Ladybug would make an appearance before the night ended.

Adrien started down the stairs, his bodyguard pulled up to get him already. He looked over at the two girls, catching Marinette's eye. He smiled and waved then hopped in the car.

Marinette's heart started to pound. The closer the dance got the more she lost her composer.

"I'm sorry but I can't." Marinette widened her eyes with her apology as she rushed back off to her house.