5: Fear & Fog

Marinette left her home in her big pink coat and headed to the park. Alya had asked her to meet early so they would have plenty of time to take photos.

Paris had gotten darker and the air was thick with fog. Marinette hadn't noticed the weather change due to her rushing to finish her dress.

The craftsmanship wasn't up to contest standers and Marinette was thankful she hadn't made it for one.

Still, the evening was cold and Marinette worried about how much colder it would be once she removed her coat for the pictures.

"Marinette?" A tiny voice came from inside her coat.

"Yes?"

"I don't like this fog. It's giving me the creeps." Tikki jittered from her hidden pocket.

Marinette stopped, finally noticing the state of the street. It was quiet, dark, and cold. She could barely see a few feet in front of her.

"You're right." She paused some more.

Waiting.

Listening.

She couldn't hear any cars on the road, any people, not even the wind.

A pair of shoes tapped along the cobble, breaking the silence. It was hard for her to decipher which way they were coming from.

The steps got louder. Faster.

Before she knew it the owner of the steps was behind her, overpowering her and taking her down. She couldn't see what was attacking her.

Marinette felt them pull her back deeper into the fog. Her heart started pounding and she was losing her breath.

Sweat was starting to form on her face from the fear she had.

Who was grabbing her? Why?

She tried to get free but wasn't strong enough. The fear started to take over.

With a swift shadow, the person was ripped off her back. The shadow knocked her to the ground and tumbled further into the street with her attacker. Marinette sat up and tried to catch her breath. She just stared into the street, trying to make out what was happening in the fog.

The shadow charged her and as soon as she could see he was grabbing her arm and urging her to get up.

"Chat Noir?!" She exclaimed, feeling a sense of relief. She lunged into his arms for comfort.

She could feel one of his arms wrap around her waist. Her heart wouldn't stop beating. She was so scared.

What would have happened if he hadn't shown up? She thought, tightening her grip around him. Marinette had never considered how much weaker she was without her miraculous. It scared her to realize how easily she could be taken.

Chat guided Marinette's arms around his neck then placed an arm around her waist.

"Hold on tight." He then extended his staff to pull them up high above the fog.

After gently landing on top of a nearby building, Marinette left the arms of the hero and started to pace the roof. Her heart was still pounding.

Chat shortened his staff as he scoped the area from his new view. Paris had been buried in a thick grey fog.

Valentine's Day. Every year. Chat sighed to himself. Without fail something always happens on Valentine's Day. There is always someone who gets their heart broken on this day. As for Adrien, he never cared for the day. He didn't like the media's expectation of it. A whole day dedicated to couples around the world? Sure made someone who was alone feel even more so. That was until she met her.

Marinette was still pacing when Chat Noir turned back to her.

Her arms wrapped around herself tightly. She looked like she was going to start crying at any moment.

"Hey!" Chat rushed to her, gently grabbing her arms to stop her. "Listen, Marinette right?"

She nodded.

"Everything is going to be fine. Ladybug and me are going to fix this and you'll be back to your normal day in no time."

"R-right." She muttered, feeling herself slow down.

The girl looked tired and frightened. He took a good look around the roof. "I don't think whatever's going on will reach above the fog. So you should be safe up here."

Marinette nodded again. Chat spoke with such certainty that what once was fear was now replaced with determination.

"I've got to go." Chat gave her a smile cupping her hands in his own, reassuring her of her safety.

After he left she took a deep breath, her kwamii finally joining her.

"Feeling better now?" Tikki asked.

"Much. Come on now, Paris needs us to save Valentine's Day."