Chapter 32: Do or Die

Songs for this chapter:
Sign of the Times - Harry Styles

This is a long and heavy chapter. TW for violence and death.

Elora's head spun as she sat alone in her dorm. Too many things weren't adding up. She felt as though she was looking at a jigsaw puzzle and the pieces were vanishing out of thin air. She was missing something.

Her mind replayed Draco's confession. He loved her. He wanted to protect her. It took Elora several minutes of processing the information to realize that he was just as trapped as she was. But something was still missing. She was driving herself mad trying to figure it out. Her mind was in no state to overanalyze everything that had happened in the last few months. The torturous curse was still weaving its way through her body, little zaps of pain shooting through her as she trembled.

Elora groaned and fell back onto the mattress of her bed. She threw her arms over her face to hide the light streaming in from the windows, the brightness making her brain even more foggy. After several deep breaths, she was able to calm herself.

That was, until she remembered the task she was expected to complete. Bring Aurelia to Voldemort. Bring her there to punish Blaise. Lose all trust and faith they had in her. Otherwise, be killed. Her stomach churned at the mere thought of Aurelia knowing she was a Death Eater.

She was out of time. She didn't have a back up plan or a good enough excuse. She was expected to obey, and the thought of the Cruciatus curse being cast at her body again was enough of a reason to do as she was told.

-

The days flew by too quickly for Elora's liking. When she returned to Hogwarts, it had been Sunday afternoon. She had until Saturday to complete her task. By Thursday night, she was a shaking, anxious mess. She had barely spoken to Aurelia and couldn't stand to look at Blaise. They knew something was up, they could see right through her.

"Elora, honestly! What is going on with you?" Aurelia shouted. It was Friday, and they were back in their room after dinner in the Great Hall. Elora had mere hours to drag her best friend into the hands of the Dark Lord. Their fight began earlier that day. Aurelia was fed up with being outright ignored.

"I told you, it's nothing!" Elora said through gritted teeth. Her patience had grown thin, whether because of the dark magic coursing through her veins or the stress of the past weeks she wasn't sure. But Aurelia kept. asking. questions. Questions Elora couldn't answer. Confessions she could never make until it was too late and Aurelia had seen the truth for herself.

Aurelia responded, her screams bouncing and echoing off of the dungeon walls, but Elora couldn't hear her. There was a sharp pain in her forearm that took her attention away from her friend. Her ears were ringing.

No. No, I have more time, she thought. Please, give me more time. Her face paled. The sand in her metaphorical hourglass had run out, all sinking to the bottom. Time was up. There was no amount of begging and bargaining that she could do. She couldn't save anyone.

The door of their room burst open as Blaise entered. He stopped in his tracks when he saw Aurelia. Tugging his sleeve down to hide his mark, he gave Elora a knowing look. His eyes were pleading with hers. He didn't want her to go. He had tried so desperately to get her on his side the last few weeks. Every time they were called he ran to her, begging her not to obey the Dark Lord. He tempted her with ideas of what life would be like if they fled from their positions. He needed someone on his side, he couldn't fight this battle alone. But Elora couldn't help him. She couldn't even help herself.

She gave Blaise a sad look as she reached for Aurelia. Elora roughly grabbed her friend's arm and yanked her close. With a pop, they vanished.

The girls landed in a heap in the foyer of Malfoy Manor. Elora quickly stood, rising to her feet. She pushed her sleeves up. There was no use in hiding it anymore, Aurelia was going to find out soon enough.