Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Kamal

My ass was numb, but I refused to move from my spot on the floor until I could somehow convince my little angel out of the closet once again. An amused smile cured my lips at the irony of finding myself once again battling Jameel's shyness and sitting on the cold tiles of his bathroom trying to coax him out from behind the closed linen closet door. Another thought hit me that made my smile immediately melt away.

Not for the first time have I wondered if I am going about this situation and possibly taking our friendship to romantic relationship the right way. Jameel was literally imprisoned and forced to endure unmentionable treatment as that sick old perverts love slave. He was never taught about anything other than how to be of service to a pedophile. He was maybe aware of only the fundamentals of a practicing the Muslim faith and the governances of the Nation of Islam. As a Christian, I'm only familiar with the teachings because of my father, and our ties to our homeland. Out of respect for family and business, my siblings and I had to be well versed in religion so as not to be offensive by ignorance.

The gray areas were abundant in our situation. First and foremost, we are of the same sex, having a relationship or courtship of any kind between us is haram (forbidden). Unfortunately, as a victim of sexual abuse, Jameel would have been shunned from society as impure and ineligible for a family in our standing to pursue courtship. The laws and teachings of Islam are very much not applicable to our unique circumstance, but that does not mean they are not important to Jameel's spiritual and mental health.

We were going to have to put the options of sexual ideations on the back burner and communicate with each other so that we can figure out our own journey in this thing called life, because I want Jameel as mine, my husband, my partner, my Habibi to care for, to provide him with peace, love, and all the respect he deserves. I've already come to terms with the fact that this little desert flower owns every fiber of my being. I think I fell in love with him the first time he blinked those beautiful brown eyes up at me when I freed him from that desolate room.

Shifting to make myself more comfortable on the floor, I reached into my pocket and pulled out my cell phone. Jameel was going to have to show his sweet face at some point, and mine was going to be the first thing he sees when he does. But until then, I was going to need some advice about how to make this man mine, and the perfect place to seek such advice was none other than my parents. A couple who has overcome so many prejudices and life lessons just to love one another. The very people who created a love story so beautiful, my siblings and I would never settle for anyone until we could find someone to bring us that same energy as our parents have found in each other.

Taking a deep breath, I gathered my thoughts and typed out a message to my Goddess of a mother, the Queen of our little world. There was no going back now, no second guessing. In making my intentions known, I was telling my family in no uncertain terms that Jameel was my prince, the one I want to honor with my name, my love, and my protection for the rest of my days. This was not something to take lightly, or possibly turn around and later change my mind about him. No matter the religion or the beliefs, this was me making my intentions known towards this very special man. Was I ready to make such a commitment? The answer was an absolute yes, as I pressed the send button on the message to my mom.

Not more than maybe ten seconds later my phone vibrated against my thigh. My heart rate kicked up several more beats as I read the one-line message from my mother.

"I'm on my way."

"Umm...Habibi...Jameel. Baby, I think it's time to come out now." I gently persuaded my stubborn little angel only to be met with absolute silence from behind the closed door. I know he'd be even more embarrassed about our current predicament if my mom arrived, and he was only wrapped in a towel. I didn't want to spook him even further and admit outright that she was on the way, although he adored her just as much as she adored and doted on him.