Saccharine

Saccharine (adjective): 1. excessively sweet or sentimental.

Daniel POV

"Please, Daniel, just tell me where we're going." She huffs as she crosses her arms. "You know how I do with surprises."

"We both know that's a lie, Melody. We're almost there anyways." I laugh as I squeeze her thigh.

It doesn't take us long before we're pulling into her surprise. I catch her constantly looking up recipes and watching videos of bakers online. I'm so excited that I've nailed this Valentine's Day date that it feels like I'm having heart palpitations when I reach Melody's door. I can't wait to see my girl's face when she figures out what we're doing.

"Are you okay?" I snap back to reality quickly to her looking at me with a concerned look. I can't help but laugh and press a quick kiss to her forehead before holding out my hand to help her out of the car.

"Just excited for our date, Ducky."

"I'd be more excited if you'd tell me what we're doing." The sentence comes out through her gritted teeth.

"Haven't you learned just to trust me?" I open the door and place my hand on the small of her back to guide her through. As soon as the sweet, sweet smell of baked goods hits our noses, she halts to a complete stop. "Something wrong?"

"Are we where I think we are?" Her hazel eyes light up in anticipation as she pulls my hand.

"You'll just have to see." I pop my shoulders but can't help the smile that starts to appear on my face. "Let's go, we don't want to be late."

We continued down a long brick hallway until we reached a door with delicate cursive on the glass. I watch Melody's high ponytail of curls tilt to the side as she starts to piece together where we are. I let my eyes travel down my girl. Her soft red dress hit mid-thigh, and as soon as she came out of the bedroom this morning, I had to fight the urge to tell her we were staying home. Paired with her green denim jacket and short Doc Martens, my dream girl looks every bit of the dream that she is. She turns and catches me checking her out; I don't make any attempt to hide it.

"Mr. Wagner. This is no place to check out my ass when there are sweets on the other side of this door. Rosemary's Confectionery? Seriously?" Melody's arms wrap around my waist and squeeze tight; an involuntary groan escapes my lips as I wrap mine around her shoulders. "Her cinnamon rolls are my favorite. I've been trying to figure out the recipe for years. Daniel."

I simply stick two fingers under her chin and press my lips to hers, enjoying her speechless moment. I turn her back to face the door, reaching around her to knock on the door. It doesn't take long for a small older woman to answer the door.

"Mrs. Lennox, thank you for taking the time today-" I begin before she quickly cuts me off with a wave.

"I told you on the phone, Daniel, call me Rosemary. I insist." I watch her smile at my girl. "You, my beautiful dear, must be Melody. I've heard quite a bit about you from Daniel. I hope you don't mind me saying I'm quite excited for this afternoon; it's been some time since I've taught a class. I hope I'm not too rusty."

"Thank you for having us today, Rosemary." I watch as Melody takes Rosemary's hands in hers. The women have a quiet moment before Melody continues. "You make some of mine and our daughter's favorite sweets. I'm excited for this afternoon, too; anything you teach us will be perfect."

Our daughter. My heart stops every time I hear that phrase used regarding her ours.

"Then there's no time to waste, sweetheart!" Rosemary takes Melody by the hand, leading her further inside her studio. "Tell me more about your girl."