Confession

Through the door lay an old yellow-walled swimming pool.  This was... unexpected, but I guess James did drown. The color slowly drained from little Jasmine's face as she hurriedly scurried over to Lydia and began whispering. 

I stood rather awkwardly beside Sam and Ethan and we all just stared at or new situation. 

"So, uh.."

"I LOVED HIM!!!" Jasmine yells at Lydia.

Loved who?

 Who does a swimming pool remind her of? A vicious voice whisper hissed in my head.

JAMES. 

It was tiny Jasmine James kissed that night. It was her he was flirting back and forth with. It was her I ended my relationship because. My jaw dropped. This little clueless girl broke the only relationship I thought actually worked.

"It....was you." I was shocked.

My bad side wanted me to rage at Jasmine but I couldn't because she was to.. breakable looking.  She looked like she was someone to protect. So instead I allowed myself to be angry at James, he kissed her after all. Stupid James, turns out he was never loyal to me. He was using me like every guy did. Like everyone did.

"What." Jasmine spat at me, she was definitely angry at me.

I wished I could take the words back, they had been so unnecessarily cold. Jasmine wasn't at fault here, it was me. And James.

"Better off" I retorted to myself, but the room was silent so everyone heard.

The whole room was eerily silent. And everyone was either staring at me or Jasmine. Like seriously guys this wasn't what we supposed to be doing. 

"So... are we supposed to be swimming or searching, or something?" I asked once I'd had it with the  staring. 

"Yeah, we should be." Sam said  quietly as he pulled his sour stare from Jasmine.

Ethan looked mildly annoyed with both Sam and myself but there was nothing I could do about him right this minute.

"So.. how deep do you think this  is?" Lydia asked before looking concernedly toward Jasmine.

Sam's facial expression changed into a  focused frown. "I estimate it is thirty meters long and at least six metres deep. We better hope that key isn't at the bottom. The average depth a human being can dive is approximately six point zero-nine metres, and that's for the average American adult." I stare at him in genuine awe. 

 "What?" he said when he saw Ethan's annoyed expression, "I have a good memory-"

"Okay." I interrupted quickly before Ethan could say something mean. "This conversation isn't going to get us anywhere." I careful scan the others expressions Lydia and Jasmine were both nodding their agreement.  "Now that we have established the pool is very deep, we need to focus and try and find that stupid key."

We all start to walk  together and begin to search without another word. Sam and I took to the changing rooms and scored every surfaced. We found a few towels, even a pair of googles. They were to small to fit me but maybe they would fit Jasmine...

"We're not getting anywhere." Sam sighed heavily. "its in the pool."

I had known from the start but I  kept pushing it back.  I didn't want to swim, we didn't know what was in there.

Side by side Sam and I walked toward the pool where the others already were.

I held my hands up as if to say we found nothing, but Ethan just snarled. Ugh he was so unnecessarily rude.

"Oy, what did you do that for?!" Sam said calmly to Ethan as I carefully, and slowly, put my hands down. "It wasn't her fault."

"Well, you don't know that. You have known her for, what, an hour?" Ethan's voice snarled, poison dripping from every word.

He hated me, but why?

Ethans and Sam's conversation got progressively more violent as my brain whirld in every direction.

"You know what you are such a loser, your parents are probably so ashamed" Ethan snapped.

"Yeah well...." Sam's voice started. "Eeek!"

He was falling, no, not falling he was pushed.