₀₁ ; 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐦𝐚

"SOMEONE'S coming." Sophie whispers, looking out the foggy living room windows.

"Oh, come on, Sophie. You know no one ever comes here on Halloween." Dylan scoffs, peaking up from his book.

"Wouldn't have to be that way..." Lydia begins to say, looking over at the boy from her spot beside him on the couch.

"Lyds, we both know my mom won't let us hand out candy." He sighs, looking at the girl softly and then looking back down at his book.

She groans, flopping down further into the couch, her head on his shoulder.

"Oh, come on, mom!" Marnie, Sophie and Dylan's older sister, whines. "It's a costume party! Everyone's gonna be there. You have to let me go, mom!" She pleads as she follows her mother down the steps and into the living room.

However, her mother just shakes her head at the girl.

"Mom, I'm thirteen! I'm practically a grown up." Marnie continues, "I'm old enough to make my own decisions." She pauses, turning to look at her friends who had been trailing behind her, "Right guys?"

"Yeah, I guess so..." one of them mumbles.

"Is there even an age for that?" Another one asks.

"Marnie," Her mom sighs. "I have my reasons. I'll explain them to you... when. you're. taller." She states.

"Mom! You've been saying that, like, my whole life." Marnie groans. "It's just one night! What is the big deal?" She questions.

"Uhm, it does seem unfair seeing as Marnie likes weird stuff so much." One of her friends pipes up.

"Alright, thank you all for coming. You've been a lovely audience." Her mom says, leading her friends towards the door. "But, the show is over. Marnie will see you all tomorrow."

"Mom!" Marnie cries.

"Bye, Marnie..." Her friends wave awkwardly, slowing walking out of the house.

"I am so sick of this!" Marnie scoffs, followed by a fake laugh. "I want to know why we can't be like normal kids and go out on Halloween!" She exclaims.

"Uh, should I go?" Lydia whispers to Dylan, uncomfortably shifting in her seat.

"No, it's always like this." He mumbles back as they both come back in on the argument.

"I mean, my little sister should be out there trick or treating," Marnie gestures to the girl sitting at the window, "but look at her! You've kept her from a normal childhood, and it's turned her into a wall ornament." Marnie tells her.

"Well, I think it's obvious why Halloween is bad." Dylan cuts in, "I mean, the whole razor blade in the apple thing was an urban myth, but all that candy causes cavities and gum disease... and-" he goes to continue but stops as Lydia elbows him in the side.

"It's definitely too late for him." She rolls her eyes, looking at Marnie.

"Marnie, I'm sorry. I know that you want to go out with your friends, but there's some things about Halloween that you just don't understand." Her mom explains.