Chapter eight

Surprise! After reading the previous chapters comments, I couldn't help but update. I already love that person. And thank you for 100 followers.

Happy reading.

~~~

Ishika's POV

A week has passed by with me trying my best to avoid Jeet. Keyword: trying. Because he wouldn't give up. And it warmed my heart somewhere. But I just can't give in, at least not so soon.

Rishi and Divya had bombarded me with questions the next day and I had to tell them everything like how he is not my boyfriend but that same friend who dropped me to the office another day. And how we had a thing four years ago. They did think that I am hiding something from them to which I only shrugged and told them it's nothing they need to know.

After that day, I woke up early everyday to catch the first bus. I did encounter him at office during lunch but he ate with his teammates. He did not bother me at the office at all.

On my way back home, it's like a never-ending symphony of honks, and I'm convinced I'll need an otolaryngologist soon. He insists I should join him in his car, claiming, "I allowed you to take the bus in the morning, so now you must express your gratitude by riding home with me." My gratitude knows no bounds, note the sarcasm.

It's only been a week or something since he joined the office, so he's not swamped yet, unlike the perpetually busy Interior & Architect department employees. However, it's just a matter of time before he becomes engrossed in work and forgets about me.

We didn't talk about what happened that evening. He just pretended like it never happened. After all, he's really good at making people and memories disappear, like they were never there. While I tried doing the same.

As the workday nears its end, I pack up and head towards the lift. Upon leaving the building, a car pulls up in front of me. Briefly, I entertain the idea that it might be Jeet, but the color doesn't match - his car is black, not white. The windows roll down, revealing Rishi's face. Since when does he drive? Wasn't he the one who usually arrived on a bike? The unexpected sight leaves me puzzled.

Seemingly aware of my confusion, he explains, "It's my brother's car! Now, hop in."

"Oh!" I reply. "Thanks for the offer, but you can head home. I'll take the bus." Sure, Jeet's car has become your new bus - I internally roll my eyes at the notion.

"Have you checked the WhatsApp group?" he asks.

"No, why?" I counter, pulling my phone from my purse.

"Get in first," he instructs. I comply. And he starts driving.

"Nitya is hosting a dinner," he reveals.

"What? How did I miss that?" She's hosting a dinner at our house, and I'm completely oblivious. Wonderful.

"It was spontaneous. She texted in the WhatsApp group around three, announcing a dinner tonight because she has something to share," he informs me.

"Oh, okay. But it's only half past five." I say, glancing at my phone's screen which displayed the time. "Why are you going so early?" I question, narrowing my eyes at him.

"Can't I?" he deflects.

"Don't dodge the question."

"Well," he clears his throat, "because I want to." Of course, he does. After all, he has a thing for my beautiful Nini.

---

"Nini" I call out for Nitya.

"Yeah" she replies as we arrange the food on the table.