Chapter 1

(Jason POV)

Even before he was electrocuted Jason was having a rotten day. He woke up in the backseat of a school bus, not sure where he was, holding hands with a girl he didn't know. That wasn't necessarily the rotten part. The girl was cute, but he couldn't figure out what he was doing there. He sat up and rubbed his eyes, trying to think.

A few dozen kids were sprawled in the seats in front of him, listening to ipods, talking, or sleeping. They all looked around his age ... fifteen? Sixteen? Okay, that was scary, he didn't even know his own age. The girl squeezed his hand, "Jason you okay?" She wore faded jeans, hiking boots, and a fleece snowboarding jacket. Her chocolate brown hair was cut choppy and uneven, with thin strands braided down the side. She wore no makeup like she was trying not to draw attention to herself, but it didn't work. She was seriously pretty. Her eyes seemed to change color like a kaleidoscope–brown, blue and green. He let go of the pretty girl's hand, "Uhm I don't–"

"Alright listen up Cupcakes!" a teacher shouted from the front of the bus. When he stood in the aisle he landed at about five foot zero. Not very intimidating if you ask him.

"Stand up Coach Hedge!" one student shouted.

"I heard that!" His beady eyes scanned for the offender but they landed on Jason and his scowl deepened. Jason knew he was in the wrong place, and that Coach was going to call him out, and Jason would be at a loss for words. But Hedge averted his eyes from Jason.

"We'll arrive in five minutes! Stay with your partner and if any little cupcakes cause trouble on this trip I will personally send you back to campus the hard way!" He picked up his bat and mocked hitting a homer. Jason looked at the girl next to him,

"Can he talk to us like that?"

"Always does," the girl from the seat in front of him turned around. She had long black hair, peach skin, and sea green eyes. She was wearing a green shirt with dark blue jeans, a light gray hoodie, and a charm bracelet. She had blue and purple braces, and a smirk that immediately warned you that she was a prankster.

"This is the wilderness school, 'where kids are the animals'" The girl next to Jason added like it was a joke they shared before. Braces turned back around and started giggling.

"This is a mistake." Jason said. "I'm not supposed to be here." a boy in front of him turned around, with Braces this time. There was a slight redness in his cheeks while they held hands (AS FRIENDS).

"Yeah right Jason!" The boy said, "We've all been framed! I didn't run away six times, Piper didn't steal a BMW, and Madi here definitely didn't get into 10 fights in the last school she went to!" Jason stared at the Madi girl. She didn't seem like the kind to fight. Considering that she was a foot shorter than he was.

"I didn't steal that car Leo!" Piper slapped his hand. "And I never started those fights! I was framed for those." Madi protested. Leo looked at me like, can you believe these girls? Leo looked like a latino santa's elf, with curly brown hair, pointy ears, and a mischievous smile that told you to not trust him with power tools. His long nimble fingers wouldn't stop moving, drumming the seat, pushing his hair back, or playing with Madi's bracelet.

"Anyway," Leo said, "I hope you have your worksheet because me and Madi used mine for spit wads days ago!" Madi nodded enthusiastically.

"Why are you looking at me like that? Did someone draw on my face again?" Madi asked.

"I don't know you," Jason said. Leo gave him a crocodile grin.

"Sure. I'm not your best friend; I'm his evil clone!"

"Valdez! Is there a problem back there?" Coach shouted. Leo winked and whispered to Madi,

"Watch this!"