skin

As Sam, Nancy, and Dean pulled into the gas station, the sun glaring down on the worn pavement

As Sam, Nancy, and Dean pulled into the gas station, the sun glaring down on the worn pavement. Dean hopped out of the car, eager to fill the tank and get back on the road. 
"Alright, I figure we'd hit Tucumcari by lunch, then head south, hit Bisbee by midnight," Dean announced, his voice tinged with excitement for the journey ahead. But Sam seemed preoccupied, his attention focused on his PalmPilot, checking e-mails. "Sam wears women's underwear." 

"I've been listening, I'm just busy," Sam replied, his eyes fixed on the screen.
"Busy doing what?" Dean raised an eyebrow.
"Reading e-mails," Sam answered casually, scrolling through the messages.
"E-mails from who?" Nancy wondered intrigued as she leaned over to peek at the screen. 

"From my friends at Stanford," Sam replied, his tone indicating there was more to the story.
"You still keep in touch with your college buddies?" Dean replied surprised 
"Why not?" Sam shrugged nonchalantly. 
"What do you tell 'em? About where you've been, what you've been doing?" Dean prodded further.
"I tell 'em I'm on a road trip with my big brother. I tell 'em I needed some time off after Jess," Sam explained, a hint of reluctance in his voice.

"So, you lie to 'em," Dean concluded bluntly.
"No. I just don't tell 'em everything." Sam shook his head in dismissal. 
"Yeah, that's called lying." Dean scoffed "I mean, hey, man, I get it, tellin' the truth is far worse."
"So, what am I supposed to do, just cut everybody out of my life?" Sam's frustration seeped through his words, directed at Dean, who simply shrugged in response.
"In a job like this, you can't get close to people, period," Dean retorted, his tone matter-of-fact.

"You're kind of anti-social, you know that?" Sam remarked as he delved back into his e-mails.
"Yeah whatever," Dean dismissed his brother as suddenly Sam's expression shifted, a mix of concern and disbelief clouding his features. 
"God...," Sam muttered under his breath, catching Nancy's attention.
"What's wrong?" Nancy's voice held a hint of worry as she turned to face Sam.
"In this e-mail from this girl, Rebecca Warren, one of my friends," Sam began, his voice tense. "She says Zack's been charged with murder. He's been arrested for killing his girlfriend. Rebecca says he didn't do it, but it sounds like the cops have a pretty good case."
"Is she hot?" Dean quipped, earning an eye-roll from Nancy and a pointed ignore from Sam.