Chapter 1

Centuries ago, Egypt was a flourishing, prosperous empire, its people built monuments to their gods and pharaohs and the Nile flowed with trade. It was a glorious time, and the Gods of Egypt were proud, and were honored by the people.

But in the shadows the god Set watched and was unpleased. Set lived for destruction, but more importantly he lived for change. To Set, the time for a change was past due and he intended to collect.

A cruel god, Set hatched a plan, bringing about change and destruction needed a cruel twist, and Set had just the idea. The lord of destruction congratulated himself, and then sent word to his most devout of followers. Set entered the dreams of his followers scattered all throughout Egypt to work his will.

Ignorant of the momentous events that were about to unfold was Prince Bakari, the Pharaoh's son. Bakari was like a ray of sun from Ra himself. He spent his days running about the palace laughing, his hair in a sidelock as was common for all children in Egypt.

The pharaoh had deemed Bakari heir to the throne, but for now Bakari lived in youthful bliss of the duties and responsibilities he would uphold. The next game of Mehen was his biggest concern.

"Look at my son." The pharaoh said warmly as the boy played with a wooden knife. "He grows stronger by the day."

"He will make a great king, sire." The general said, as the two men watched the boy play.

"Bakari, come here." The pharaoh said warmly.

"Baba?" Bakari asked.

The father lifted his son up and smiled at him proudly.

"You will be a great man someday my son. I'm so proud of you."

Bakari nodded in confusion as his father set him down. As Bakari left the general nodded to his ruler.

"Your son will shape Egypt."

The pharaoh smiled. "Indeed, he will. I shall teach him how to rule, and you shall teach him how to fight. He will learn much from many. But for now, let him play."

Bakari had little to fear in the palace and the boy was watched over by the medjay, the thought that he was in any form of danger seemed ludicrous. But danger the boy was in. For even in the safety of the palace were Set's followers.

They had watched from afar, they made note of the prince's routines, when he was most vulnerable, and when he was most oblivious to his surroundings. Their master spoke to them in their dreams and urged them on. Crafty and devious the followers of Set enacted their devious and carefully crafted plan.

Night had long since fallen upon Egypt, no moon shined above, only the stars. The distant cry of jackals echoed across the desert dunes. Bakari slept soundly in his bed blissfully unaware as a man crept out from the curtains of the palace. One of the many palace servants the man was also a follower of Set.