Chapter 2

The disappearances of the children was regarded as one of Egypt's most perplexing mysteries, they had all vanished without a trace from their own homes right from behind their watchful protector's backs.

Rumors swirled of conspiracy and treason. But no sign of the children was ever found. As the years dragged on and the leads grew cold many came to the conclusion that the gods had seen fit to punish Egypt for some transgression.

The old Pharaoh grew sad and weary, losing Bakari had broken his spirit, he never smiled and indeed seemed unable to take joy in anything. Some days he would stare out across the great city and imagine his son's return.

"He'll return." The pharaoh muttered. "He'll return."

After twenty years had passed though, Set finally executed the crux if his grand and cruel plan. He set his minions loose, once the future of Egypt, now its destruction.

Set's minions were on the rampage, and far more destructive than any invading army. Striking out from the temple the three large beasts cut down anyone in their way and put every city and village in their path to the torch.

In one such village in their path, it was a seemingly ordinary night as the residents settled in for the night. There was no warning, there was no portents of doom. There was the sound of adobe wall being smashed, and then screams.

A shepherd awoke and grabbed his crook, fearing a bandit attack. But what awaited him was far worse than bandits.

"By the gods!" The shepherd gasped as he saw what was attacking.

Three large beasts of shadow, with heads of gold, their fangs bared and saliva dripping from those terrible jaws. Each was armed with a different weapon, an axe, a khopesh, and a pair of clubs.

The three beasts growled as the people fled before the merciless creatures. Bakari brought his axe down on a hapless villager that was cowering before him, the scent of seared flesh and blood filled the air as the minions kept up their rampage. The cut down villagers indiscriminately and smashed walls.

The khopesh wielder stuck his hand into a brazier of coals and flung them against a stack of hay, the creature seemed immune to pain. Or perhaps it was just used to pain. A villager dared to strike at the club wielder with his staff, and the minion blocked the blow easily before bashing the human in the skull.

The shepherd hid himself in a fallen urn as the chaos reined around him, a broken, quivering mess of a man. He stayed in the urn until the screams subsided and the ashes of his home fell around him. Only when the sun was up did he dare make it out of his hiding spot.

The lone survivor thanked the gods for his good fortune as he took in the rubble and corpses that were once his home. It wasn't luck that he was spared though, Set wanted one alive to tell the tale.

Now the unwitting pawn set out into the desert to spread word of the three beasts that were on the rampage.

Word spread from the few survivors of the threat besieging Egypt. The pharaoh called forth the great army of Egypt and placed his trusted friend and general in command.

"If the reports are true and these creatures are indeed Set's minions, I fear force of arms will not be enough to stop them." The pharaoh said sadly.

The general nodded, "I understand. But we will fight to protect you, and buy enough time for the priests to complete their ritual. Gods, I hope it works."

"Faith. It's all we have now." The Pharaoh stated.

The armies of Egypt were arrayed in formation outside of Cairo and the palace, ranks of chariots, archers, and walls of spearmen, every man well trained. It was an imposing force, if it was a mortal foe they faced.